Luncheon party to French and English Aviators
5 of 8 portraits of Hon. Charles Stewart Rolls
© National Portrait Gallery, London
Luncheon party to French and English Aviators
by Benjamin Stone
platinum print, 15 September 1909
6 1/8 in. x 8 in. (154 mm x 202 mm) image size
Given by House of Commons Library, 1974
Artistback to top
- Sir (John) Benjamin Stone (1838-1914), Politician and photographer. Artist associated with 1436 portraits, Sitter in 28 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Baden Fletcher Smyth Baden-Powell (1860-1937), Major-General; President of the Aeronautical Society. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
- Alice Védere Blériot, Wife of Louis Blériot. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
- Louis Charles Joseph Blériot (1872-1936), Aviator, inventor and engineer. Sitter in 10 portraits. Identify
- William Walter Bradfield (1879-1925), Director of Marconi Wireless Telegraph Company. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Frank Hedges Butler (1855-1928), Balloonist and pioneer of flying. Sitter in 7 portraits. Identify
- Sir Reginald Ambrose Cave-Browne-Cave, Bt (1860-1930), Naval captain. Sitter in 12 portraits.
- Monsieur Chéreau. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
- Samuel Franklin Cody (1867-1913), Aviator. Sitter in 7 portraits. Identify
- Alfred du Cros (1868-1946), Conservative politician; MP for Bow and Bromley. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- Edward Purkis Frost (1842-1922), Aviator. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
- Sir John Henniker Heaton, 1st Bt (1848-1914), Politician and postal reformer. Sitter in 33 portraits. Identify
- Baroness Lapeyrouse, Wife of Comte G. Lapeyrouse. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
- Comte Gabriel Lapeyrouse. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- William James Stewart Lockyer (1868-1936), Astronomer and meteorologist. Sitter in 10 portraits. Identify
- Hon. Robert Lygon (1879-1952), Soldier. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
- D. Macnamara. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
- John Martin (1847-1944), Journalist. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
- Harry Stanley Massey (1850-1920), Soldier. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- Thomas Power O'Connor (1848-1929), Journalist and politician; MP for Galway Borough and Liverpool. Sitter in 21 portraits. Identify
- Sir George Renwick, 1st Bt (1850-1931), Politician and shipowner. Sitter in 18 portraits. Identify
- S. Renwick. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Sir Alfred Farthing Robbins (1856-1931), Journalist and author. Sitter associated with 14 portraits. Identify
- Hon. Charles Stewart Rolls (1877-1910), Car manufacturer, aviator and Managing Director of Rolls-Royce. Sitter in 8 portraits. Identify
- Percy Melville Thornton (1841-1918), Politician and writer. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
- Sir Walter George Windham (1868-1942), Founder of the Aeroplane Club. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (Terrace, Houses of Parliament, Westminster, London)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1909back to top
Current affairsThe American retailer Harry Gordon Selfridge opens the first British custom-built department store on what was then the 'dead end' of Oxford Street. The revolutionary complex, considered the world's largest at the time, transforms shopping, offering diverse amenities including a post office and a library, and modernises the visual face of retailing through innovative window displays.
Art and scienceThe Frenchman Louis Bleriot becomes the first person to cross the English channel by aeroplane, winning the £1,000 prize offered by the Daily Mail, and greeted by cheering crowds at Dover station. Bleriot's flight also showed that England was, as H.G. Wells put it, from a military point of view 'no longer an inaccessible island'.
In dance, Alexandre Benois becomes the first artistic director of Sergey Diaghilev's innovative Ballets Russes.
InternationalThe National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), is founded in America to campaign for the rights of African Americans. One of the oldest and most influential civil rights movements, it was founded by a diverse group of individuals from mixed backgrounds, including W.E.B. Du Bois, Ida Wells-Barnett, Henry Moscowitz and William English Walling.
The Selig Polyscope company sets up the first film studio in Los Angeles.
Become a Member
Enjoy access to special events, discounts on the Gallery online shop, supporters’ updates and much more
Bringing people together by sharing the portraits and stories of the men and women who have shaped our nation.
Sign up to receive information on exhibitions, collections and activities of the National Portrait Gallery, including special offers, shop products, and exclusive competitions.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.