'The wedding night'
20 of 24 portraits of Elizabeth (née Farren), Countess of Derby
'The wedding night'
by Isaac Cruikshank, published by Samuel William Fores
hand-coloured etching, published 20 May 1797
12 1/2 in. x 18 1/8 in. (319 mm x 459 mm) paper size
Bequeathed by (Frederick) Leverton Harris, 1927
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- Charlotte Augusta Matilda, Princess Royal (1766-1828), Eldest daughter of George III; Queen of Württemberg. Sitter in 19 portraits. Identify
- Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz (1744-1818), Queen consort of George III. Sitter associated with 84 portraits. Identify
- Edward Smith Stanley, 12th Earl of Derby (1752-1834), Sportsman and patron of horse-racing. Sitter associated with 65 portraits. Identify
- Elizabeth (née Farren), Countess of Derby (1759?-1829), Actress and second wife of 12th Earl of Derby. Sitter in 24 portraits. Identify
- Frederick, Duke of York and Albany (1763-1827), Commander-in-Chief of the Army; son of George III. Sitter associated with 73 portraits. Identify
- Friedrich I, King of Württemberg (1754-1816), Ruler of Württemberg; former husband of Duchess Augusta of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel, and later husband of Charlotte Augusta, Princess Royal. Sitter in 9 portraits. Identify
- King George III (1738-1820), Reigned 1760-1820. Sitter associated with 193 portraits. Identify
- King George IV (1762-1830), Regent 1811-19; Reigned 1820-30. Sitter associated with 273 portraits. Identify
- William Frederick, 2nd Duke of Gloucester (1776-1834), Field Marshal. Sitter associated with 31 portraits. Identify
- William Pitt (1759-1806), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 174 portraits. Identify
- James Cecil, 1st Marquess of Salisbury (1748-1823), Lord Chamberlain. Sitter in 12 portraits. Identify
- King William IV (1765-1837), Reigned 1830-37. Sitter associated with 174 portraits. Identify
- William V, Prince of Orange (1748-1806), Stadtholder of the Dutch Republic. Sitter associated with 19 portraits. Identify
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1797back to top
Current affairsThe Anti-Jacobin periodical makes its debut followed by The Anti-Jacobin Review the year after. Edited by William Gifford, it acted as a Tory mouthpiece against the 'New Morality' associated with republicanism.
Bank crisis results in the temporary suspension of payments by the Bank of England leading to a nationwide currency shortage.
Art and scienceRobert Southey, later Poet Laureate, publishes his collected Poems, exploring contemporary interest in mythology and non-European cultures.
Ann Radcliffe publishes her popular gothic novel The Italian. One of the most imaginative novelists of the period, she helped introduce readers to the romantic sense of the supernatural.
InternationalBattle of Cape St Vincent. Admiral John Jervis leads the fleet which defeat the Spanish.
Failure of a small French invasion in Pembrokeshire.
Naval mutinies at Spithead and Nore.
Attack on the Canary Islands in which Rear-Admiral Nelson loses an arm.
Listen to a series of podcasts exploring the lives of pioneering women, past and present.
William Eggleston was closely associated with the alternative music scene in Memphis. Revisit our 2016 exhibition and listen to a special playlist.
Links to audio and transcripts of interviews with artists, sitters and historic recordings.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.