Women in Fashion
1 of 3 portraits of Jools Holland
Women in Fashion
by Mario Testino
C-type colour print, 2000
20 in. x 14 1/8 in. (510 mm x 359 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- Julian Miles ('Jools') Holland (1958-), Pianist and broadcaster. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Stella McCartney (1972-), Fashion designer; daughter of Sir Paul McCartney and Linda McCartney. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Phoebe Philo (1973-), Fashion designer and model. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Liberty Ross (1978-), Fashion model. Sitter in 2 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Mario Testino (1954-), Photographer. Artist of 22 portraits, Sitter in 3 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Kinmonth, Patrick, Mario Testino: Portraits, 2002 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 1 February to 4 June 2002), p. 92
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
Events of 2000back to top
Current affairsThe world celebrates the start of a new millennium. Britain marks the occasion with a series of new buildings and landmarks including the Millennium Dome, the London Eye, the Millennium Bridge, and the Millennium Stadium. While the Dome was criticised by politicians and the public for wasting public funds, and the Bridge suffered initial stability problems, other projects have become major landscape and public attractions.
Art and scienceTate Modern opens as a national gallery of international modern art under the directorship of Nicholas Serota. The gallery, housed in the former Bankside Power Station, took the novel step of arranging the collection by theme rather than chronologically. As well as the collection galleries, Tate Modern has two large temporary exhibition spaces, and commissions installation projects for the enormous Turbine Hall.
InternationalBritish troops are deployed to Sierra Leone to establish order and evacuate foreign nationals from the country torn apart by civil war. Following a ceasefire President Kabbah declared the civil war officially over in 2002.
George W. Bush becomes President of the United States after a close election where he lost the popular vote, but won the electoral vote thanks to a controversial Supreme Court decision on Florida.
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer