'La famille royale'
'La famille royale'
published by Gautier
hand-coloured etching and aquatint, early 19th century
10 3/4 in. x 14 3/4 in. (274 mm x 374 mm) paper size
Bequeathed by (Frederick) Leverton Harris, 1927
Sittersback to top
- Marie Thérèse Charlotte, duchesse d'Angoulême (1778-1851), Daughter of Louis XVI. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
- Marie-Caroline de Bourbon-Deux Siciles, Duchesse de Berry (1798-1870), Wife of Charles Ferdinand, Duc de Berry. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Charles X, King of France (1757-1836), King of France 1824-1830. Sitter in 14 portraits. Identify
- Charles Ferdinand d'Artois, duc de Berry (1778?-1820), Son of Charles X, King of France. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Louis Antoine de Bourbon, duc d'Angoulême (1775-1844), Son of Charles X, King of France. Sitter associated with 7 portraits. Identify
- Louis XVIII, King of France (1755-1824), Claimant to the throne of France 1795-1814; King of France 1814-1824. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1800back to top
Current affairsWidespread food riots after poor harvests of 1798-9. Theorist, Thomas Malthus, controversially argues that poverty and food shortages are an inevitable consequence of population growth, challenging assumptions that populousness was a sign of national prosperity and power. His thesis contributed forcefully to the debate over the existing Poor Law.
Art and scienceWilliam Wordsworth publishes his Preface to the Lyrical Ballads; a retrospective explanation of his experimental poems written with Samuel Taylor Coleridge. It becomes one of the best-known manifestos of Romantic literature.
InternationalLord Castlereagh, Chief Secretary for Ireland, is the main architect of the Act of Union under which Ireland is merged with Great Britain and the Irish parliament is abolished.
British troops support successful uprising by Maltese against the French.
Napoleon is victorious against Austrians at Marengo and reconquers Italy.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints