'Louis Philippe et sa famille'
22 of 22 portraits of Louis-Philippe I, King of the French
'Louis Philippe et sa famille'
probably by Alexandre Evariste Fragonard
lithograph, circa 1850
13 1/4 in. x 17 3/8 in. (335 mm x 441 mm) paper size
Bequeathed by (Frederick) Leverton Harris, 1927
Artistback to top
- Alexandre Evariste Fragonard (1780-1850), Lithographer. Artist associated with 1 portrait.
Sittersback to top
- Ferdinand Philippe Louis Charles Henri Joseph d'Orléans (1810-1842), Son of Louis Philippe, King of France. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Henri Eugène Philippe Louis d'Orléans, duc d'Aumale (1822-1897), Son of Louis Philippe, soldier. Sitter associated with 10 portraits.
- Louis Charles Philippe Raphaël d'Orléans, duc de Nemours (1814-1896), Army officer; son of King Louis Philippe. Sitter associated with 10 portraits.
- François (Ferdinand Philippe Louis Marie) d'Orléans, Prince de Joinville (1818-1900), French Navy officer; son of King Louis Philippe I of France. Sitter associated with 6 portraits.
- Louise Marie Thérèse Charlotte Isabelle d'Orléans, Queen of the Belgians (1812-1850), Daughter of King Louis-Philippe I, King of the French; Queen consort of Leopold I. Sitter associated with 2 portraits.
- Louis-Philippe I, King of the French (1773-1850), King of France 1830-1848. Sitter associated with 22 portraits.
- Marie Amelie Therese, Queen of the French (1782-1866), Wife of Louis Philippe, King of France. Sitter associated with 5 portraits.
- Princess Marie Christine Caroline of Orléans ('Marie d'Orléans'), later Duchess of Württemberg (1813-1839), Daughter of Louis-Phillippe, King of France; wife of Duke Alexander of Württemberg. Sitter associated with 2 portraits.
- Antoine Marie Philippe Louis, duc de Montpensier (1824-1890), Son of Louis Philippe. Sitter associated with 5 portraits.
- Eugene Adelaide Louise d'Orleans (1777-1847), Daughter of Louis Philippe II d'Orleans. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Princess Marie Clementine Caroline Leopoldine d'Orleans (1817-1907), Daughter of Louis Philippe I; mother of Ferdinand I, Tsar of Bulgaria. Sitter associated with 2 portraits.
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1850back to top
Current affairsCardinal Wiseman, a Catholic priest who had exerted a strong influence on the Oxford movement, is made a Cardinal and leader of the Catholic church in England, thus restoring Roman Catholic hierarchy in England.
Art and scienceDeath of poet laureate William Wordsworth; his great autobiographical poem The Prelude is published posthumously, famously charting the growth of the poet's mind.
Tennyson's In Memoriam is also published. A poignant record of his grief over the death of his friend Arthur Hallam, the poem also movingly questions the strength of faith in an increasingly scientific age.
InternationalUp to 50,000 pioneers travel west in wagons on the Oregon trail in the United States, one of the main overland migration routes across the continent. Spanning over half the continent, the trail led 2,170 miles through territories and land which would later become six US states, including Kansas, Wyoming and Oregon, helping the US to implement its goal of Manifest Destiny - building a nation spanning the North American continent.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints