8 of 10 portraits of Louis Charles Philippe Raphaël d'Orléans, duc de Nemours
by François Georgin
hand-coloured woodcut, circa 1825-1850
24 in. x 16 1/4 in. (611 mm x 411 mm) paper size
Bequeathed by (Frederick) Leverton Harris, 1927
Sittersback to top
- Henri Eugène Philippe Louis d'Orléans, duc d'Aumale (1822-1897), Son of Louis Philippe, soldier. Sitter associated with 10 portraits.
- Louis Charles Philippe Raphaël d'Orléans, duc de Nemours (1814-1896), Army officer; son of King Louis Philippe. Sitter associated with 10 portraits.
- Louise Marie Adelaide Eugènie d'Orléans (1777-1847), Sister of Louis Philippe. Sitter associated with 1 portrait.
- François (Ferdinand Philippe Louis Marie) d'Orléans, Prince de Joinville (1818-1900), French Navy officer; son of King Louis Philippe I of France. Sitter associated with 6 portraits.
- Louise Marie Thérèse Charlotte Isabelle d'Orléans, Queen of the Belgians (1812-1850), Daughter of King Louis-Philippe I, King of the French; Queen consort of Leopold I. Sitter associated with 2 portraits.
- Louis-Philippe I, King of the French (1773-1850), King of France 1830-1848. Sitter associated with 22 portraits.
- Marie Amelie Therese, Queen of the French (1782-1866), Wife of Louis Philippe, King of France. Sitter associated with 5 portraits.
- Princess Marie Christine Caroline of Orléans ('Marie d'Orléans'), later Duchess of Württemberg (1813-1839), Daughter of Louis-Phillippe, King of France; wife of Duke Alexander of Württemberg. Sitter associated with 2 portraits.
- Antoine Marie Philippe Louis, duc de Montpensier (1824-1890), Son of Louis Philippe. Sitter associated with 5 portraits.
- Princess Marie Clementine Caroline Leopoldine d'Orleans (1817-1907), Daughter of Louis Philippe I; mother of Ferdinand I, Tsar of Bulgaria. Sitter associated with 2 portraits.
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1825back to top
Current affairsStrikes, contract breaking and worker intimidation prompt the passing of a new Anti-Trade Union Combination Act to the dismay of economist John McCulloch, MP Joseph Hume and radical Francis Place who had worked for the repeal of the previous year.
Catholic Relief Bill is rejected by the House of Lords.
Art and scienceConstruction of Thames Tunnel begins under the direction of Marc Isambard Brunel.
Stockton to Darlington Railway, the world's first passenger system, opens.
William Hazlitt publishes The Spirit of the Age; twenty-five pen-portraits of his contemporaries in the world of literature, philosophy and politics.
InternationalBeethoven's Ninth Symphony premieres in London.
John Quincy Adams is elected President of the United States.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints