by Bassano Ltd
whole-plate glass negative, 3 November 1919
Given by Bassano & Vandyk Studios, 1974
Sitterback to top
- Campbell Gullan (1881-1939), Stage and film actor, director and screenwriter. Sitter in 2 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (photographer's studio, 25 Old Bond Street , London)
Events of 1919back to top
Current affairsSir John William Alcock and Lieutenant Arthur Whitten Brown pilot the first successful non-stop transatlantic flight from Newfoundland to Ireland, flying 1980 miles in their modified Vickers Vimy bomber plane in just over 16 hours. Their achievement won them a £10,000 prize from the Daily Mail newspaper.
Art and scienceJohn Maynard Keynes publishes The Economic Consequences of the Peace, an influential economic text that criticised the harsh economic treatment of Germany at the Treaty of Versailles and predicted the destabilising effects of the vindictive settlement.
InternationalThe Paris Peace Conference negotiates the peace treaties between the victorious and defeated powers. The Conference culminated in a number of treaties including the Treaty of Versailles, which granted independence for the countries under Austrian and Russian rule and forced Germany to accept responsibility for the war and pay reparations. It also established the League of Nations.
- Margery Allingham
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- DCMS Bassano Project
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Classical Music and the First World War
- Athletes and Olympians
- Centenary of flight
- Born in 1856