Modern Muses of Great Britain
Modern Muses of Great Britain
by Derry Moore, 12th Earl of Drogheda
digital C-type colour print, 1996
16 in. x 18 1/2 in. (405 mm x 470 mm)
Artistback to top
- Derry Moore, 12th Earl of Drogheda (1937-), Photographer. Artist of 45 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Sittersback to top
- Tessa Ann Vosper Blackstone, Baroness Blackstone (1942-), Academic, university administrator, Labour politician and life peer. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Darcey Andrea Bussell (1969-), Ballet dancer. Sitter in 9 portraits. Identify
- Dame Evelyn Elizabeth Ann Glennie (1965-), Percussionist. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Sarah Hervey-Bathurst (1959-), Chatelaine and interior decorator. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Mary Elizabeth King (1961-), Equestrian; Olympian. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Emma Kirkby (1949-), Soprano. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Emma Sergeant (1959-), Artist. Sitter in 3 portraits, Artist of 3 portraits. Identify
- Dame Vivienne Isabel Westwood (1941-), Fashion designer. Sitter in 18 portraits. Identify
- Tracy Louise Somerset (née Ward), Marchioness of Worcester (1958-), Environmental activist and actress; wife of Henry Somerset, Marquess of Worcester. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
Related worksback to top
- NPG 4905: Portraits in the Characters of the Muses in the Temple of Apollo (source portrait)
Linked publicationsback to top
- Eger, Elizabeth; Peltz, Lucy, Brilliant Women: 18th Century Bluestockings, 2008 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 13 March to 15 June 2008), p. 149
Events of 1996back to top
Current affairsThe largest ever IRA bomb is detonated in Manchester causing the destruction of many buildings and over 200 injuries. Nobody died in the incident because a warning was given and the area evacuated. After the bombing much of Manchester was rebuild and in 1998 it won a successful bid to host the 2002 Commonwealth Games.
Prince Charles and Princess Diana finalise their divorce after four years of separation.
Art and scienceThe Spice Girls enjoy massive popular success with their first single Wannabe going straight to Number 1. The group are remembered as much for their sassy, outspoken 'girl power' attitude and their continuing subsequent celebrity as for their music.
Danny Boyle tells the story of a group of Edinburgh heroin addicts in his critically acclaimed film version of Irvine Welsh's novel Trainspotting.
InternationalThe First Chechnya War breaks out between Chechnya and Russia when Russian forces invade the country in support of Chechnyan opposition to the government. The invasion went badly with strong Chechnyan resistance and dissent in the Russian command. However, a truce was finally established after Russia seized the capital Grozny. More than 46,000 people died as a result of the conflict.
Visit From Your Armchair
Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize
An online exhibition celebrating the very best in contemporary portrait photography.
Explore our community photography project, which presents a personal record of the UK during lockdown.
Sculptures in 360°
See sculptures and fascinating objects from our Collection from all angles.
David Hockney: Drawing from Life
Watch highlights from our special exhibition, which had to close early in March 2020 due to lockdown.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.