Queen Elizabeth I
19 of 208 portraits matching these criteria:
- set matching 'Wheatley's London (vol 1, part 1)'
Queen Elizabeth I
by Cornelis Martinus Vermeulen, after Adriaen van der Werff
line engraving, circa 1697
12 3/8 in. x 7 3/8 in. (315 mm x 186 mm) paper size
Given by Sir Herbert Henry Raphael, 1st Bt, 1916
Sitterback to top
- Queen Elizabeth I (1533-1603), Reigned 1558-1603. Sitter associated with 135 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1697back to top
Current affairsWilliam III argues for the existence of a peacetime standing army to maintain England's safety. Unpopular with both political parties, Robert Harley, Earl of Oxford, leads the opposition against the proposal.
The first service at St. Paul Cathedral is held since the building was destroyed by the Great Fire.
Art and scienceCircumnavigator, William Dampier, publishes New Voyage Round the World.
Painter and member of the Whiggish Kit-Cat Club, Godfrey Kneller starts to paint the club's members devising a special portrait size for the series.
InternationalNegotiations between William Bentinck, Earl of Portland, and Louis XIV's representative, Marshal Boufflers, effectuate the signing of a peace treaty at Ryswick, ending the Nine Years' War with France. The terms include re-establishment of the territorial position in 1688 and Louis's acknowledgement of William III as King of England.
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Tudor Miniatures
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Concealed and Revealed: The Changing Faces of Elizabeth I
- On panel making and the post-1600 Holbein panels
- My Favourite Portrait by Fiona Shaw
- My Favourite Portrait by P.D. James
- Hidden: Unseen Paintings Beneath Tudor Portraits
- Queen Elizabeth I by Nicholas Hilliard
- Tudor pick up guides
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree