by Bassano Ltd
whole-plate glass negative, 1913
Given by John Culme, 1996
Artistback to top
- Bassano Ltd (active 1901-1962), Photographers. Artist or producer associated with 42746 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (photographer's studio, 25 Old Bond Street , London)
Events of 1913back to top
Current affairsThe Suffragette, Emily Davison dies after stepping out in front of the King's horse as a protest at the Epsom Derby. In the same year the Liberal government passed the Cat and Mouse Act allowing them to release and re-arrest Suffragettes who went on hunger strike while in prison. Davison, herself, had been on hunger strike and was force-fed while detained at Holloway Prison.
Art and scienceStravinsky's ballet The Rite of Spring comes to London following its premier at the Théâtre des Champs-Élysées in Paris. Audiences were shocked by Stravinsky's rhythmic and dissonant musical score and by the violent jerky dancing of Sergei Diaghilev's Ballets Russes, which were intended to represent pagan ritual.
InternationalHenry Ford introduces the assembly line at the Ford Motor Company, rapidly increasing the rate at which the famous Model T could be manufactured, leading to massive growth in the motorcar industry and demonstrating to other industries the efficiency of mass production.
Make a donation
Support our Make History appeal and help us transform the Gallery.
A unique range of books, accessories and gifts. Every purchase supports the Gallery’s work.
Bring a familiar face home
Refresh your home gallery with a huge selection of custom art prints .
- Margery Allingham
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Bassano Studio Portrait Collection
- Classical Music and the First World War
- Athletes and Olympians
- Centenary of flight
- Born in 1856
- LGBTQ+ History Month
- Spotlight: Queen Elizabeth II
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.