by Francis Henry Hart, for Elliott & Fry
albumen cabinet card, 1896
5 7/8 in. x 4 1/2 in. (149 mm x 103 mm)
Sitterback to top
- Robert Stephenson Smyth Baden-Powell, 1st Baron Baden-Powell (1857-1941), Major-General and founder of the Boy Scouts and Girl Guides. Sitter in 49 portraits.
Artistsback to top
This portraitback to top
The photograph was taken for Elliott and Fry by Francis Henry Hart in 1896 at the time of the Matabele Campaign. It was reissued at various times with different captions as Baden-Powell's fame grew. Baden Powell is decorated with an Ashanti Star ribbon.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (photographers' studio, 55 Baker Street, Portman Square, London)
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
Events of 1896back to top
Current affairsQueen Victoria surpasses her grandfather King George III as the longest-reigning monarch in Britain.
The first speeding conviction is given to Walter Arnold of Kent, for exceeding the limit of 2 mph.
William Morris, the author, designer and prominent socialist, dies at Kelmscott House in Hammersmith, aged 62.
Art and scienceDan Leno, creator of the Pantomine Dame, is signed to Drury Lane theatre company, where he stays for sixteen years, playing some of the best known Pantomine characters.
Henry Ford builds his first gasoline-powered car. Running on four bicycle wheels it was dubbed the 'Quadricycle'; its success contributed to the founding of the Ford Motor Company in 1903.
InternationalThe first modern Olympic Games are held in Athens, organised by the International Olympic Committee, formed in Paris in 1894. Events included athletics, cycling, weightlifting and wrestling, with around fourteen nations competing.
Rhodes resigns as Cape Colony Prime Minister after refusing to repudiate Jameson for his part in the raid on the Transvaal.
Listen to a series of podcasts exploring the lives of pioneering women, past and present.
William Eggleston was closely associated with the alternative music scene in Memphis. Revisit our 2016 exhibition and listen to a special playlist.
Links to audio and transcripts of interviews with artists, sitters and historic recordings.
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits
- Learn more
- Thomas Hardy
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Sir Edward Burne-Jones
- Women Poets and Photography, 1860–1970
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Rebel women
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Athletes and Olympians
- Lives and Letters
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.