1 portrait of Miss Elliot
after Unknown artist
etching, mid 18th century
7 5/8 in. x 6 in. (193 mm x 151 mm) paper size
Given by Sir Herbert Henry Raphael, 1st Bt, 1916
Events of 1730back to top
Current affairsJohn and Charles Wesley form a Holy Club at Oxford which becomes the cradle of Methodism.
Glasite sect, which promoted a form of primitive Christianity, established in Scotland by John Glas.
Last native roe deer in England is reputedly killed in Northumberland.
Art and scienceFrench sculptor Louis-Francois Roubiliac settles in London from Paris.
The Daily Advertiser is established as the first newspaper funded by advertising.
Mathematician and inventor John Hadley invents the octant, a navigating device which precedes the sextant.
InternationalFrederick, Crown Prince of Prussia, tries to flee to Britain but is imprisoned by his father Frederick William I.
Pope Clement XII succeeds Benedict XIII as the 246th pope.
Swedish astronomer Anders Celsius observes the aurora borealis and suggests the existence of the earth's magnetic field.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- 1517: Martin Luther and the English Reformation
Until 2 December
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Duplicate of Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Portrait of the Day: Richard III
21 October, 12:30
- Lunchtime Lecture: Shakespeare and the Resistance
1 November, 13:15
- Lunchtime Lecture: Society of Portrait Sculptors Annual Lecture: Laurence Edwards
15 November, 13:15