1 of 6 portraits of William Green
by Bassano Ltd
whole-plate glass negative, 28 February 1928
Given by Bassano & Vandyk Studios, 1974
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (photographer's studio, 38 Dover Street, London)
Events of 1928back to top
Current affairsThe Representation of the People Act 1928 grants women the same rights to vote as men. Building on reform of 1918, this Act lowered the voting age for women from 30 to 21, and removed the ownership of property requirements.
Art and scienceAlexander Fleming discovers penicillin. The Scottish scientist's identification of the first antibiotic revolutionised the treatment of infection and is a landmark in medical history. By the Second World War, penicillin was being used to treat wounded soldiers and had a major impact on survival rates of those with infected wounds.
InternationalStalin announces the Soviet Union's first Five-Year plan of economic development. Based on Lenin's New Economic Policy, the Five-Year Plans aimed to expand the country's economy through rapid centralised industrialisation.
- Margery Allingham
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- DCMS Bassano Project
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Classical Music and the First World War
- Athletes and Olympians
- Centenary of flight
- Born in 1856