King Charles II
72 of 76 portraits by Robert Williams
King Charles II
by Robert Williams, published by John Smith, after Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt
14 in. x 10 1/4 in. (355 mm x 259 mm) paper size
Given by Sir Herbert Henry Raphael, 1st Bt, 1916
Sitterback to top
- King Charles II (1630-1685), Reigned 1660-85. Sitter associated with 295 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt (1646-1723), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 1686 portraits, Sitter associated with 30 portraits.
- John Smith (1652-1743), Engraver. Artist associated with 1180 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Robert Williams (active 1680-1704), Mezzotinter. Artist associated with 76 portraits.
Related worksback to top
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (Lion and Crown, Russell Street, Covent Garden, London)
Events of 1685back to top
Current affairsCharles II dies, his heir, Catholic brother, James II, succeeds to the throne. Despite deep distrust by many Protestants, he initially experiences unexpected popularity.
James Scott, Duke of Monmouth, leads the Monmouth Rebellion ambitious to seize the throne. Following his defeat at Sedgemoor, Monmouth is executed at Tower Hill.
Art and scienceOpera Universa, by physician Thomas Sydenham, considered the father of English medicine, is published in London.
Organist, Henry Purcell composes, My heart is inditing, for the coronation of James II and his queen, Mary of Modena.
Writer on dentistry, Charles Allen publishes the earliest known English book on dentistry.
InternationalThe Edict of Fontainebleau is issued by Louis XIV revoking the Edict of Nantes which gave Huguenots a right to practice their religion, free from persecution. Although Huguenots had steadily left France since the Dragonnades in 1681, this edict essentially ended official religious toleration in France.
- Painted Ladies: Women at the Court of Charles II
- Alexander Browne and Richard Tompson
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Charles II and the Oak Tree
- Charles II
- The First Actresses: Nell Gwyn to Sarah Siddons
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Party Trail
- NPG D2930 in 360°
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints