King Charles I and his supporters
61 of 61 portraits of William Laud
King Charles I and his supporters
by Unknown artist
line engraving, early 18th century
11 1/2 in. x 7 3/4 in. (292 mm x 196 mm) plate size; 12 1/8 in. x 8 1/4 in. (308 mm x 210 mm) paper size
Given by Sir Herbert Henry Raphael, 1st Bt, 1916
Sittersback to top
- Henry Somerset, 1st Duke of Beaufort (1629-1700), Politician; MP for Wootton Basset and Monmouthsire. Sitter in 11 portraits.
- Arthur Capel, 1st Baron Capel (1604-1649), Writer, royalist and politician; MP for Hertfordshire. Sitter associated with 21 portraits.
- Robert Dormer, 1st Earl of Carnarvon (1610?-1643), Courtier and royalist. Sitter in 18 portraits.
- King Charles I (1600-1649), Reigned 1625-49. Sitter associated with 335 portraits.
- James Stanley, 7th Earl of Derby (1607-1651), Royalist soldier and politician; MP for Liverpool. Sitter associated with 24 portraits.
- Lucius Cary, 2nd Viscount Falkland (1610-1643), Courtier. Sitter associated with 23 portraits.
- Sir Bevil Grenville (1596-1643), Royalist soldier and politician; MP for Cornwall and Launceston. Sitter in 19 portraits.
- James Hamilton, 1st Duke of Hamilton (1606-1649), Royalist leader and politician. Sitter associated with 42 portraits.
- John Hewit (Hewett) (1614-1658), Royalist divine; chaplain to Charles I. Sitter in 10 portraits.
- Ralph Hopton, 1st Baron Hopton of Stratton (1596-1652), Royalist general and politician; MP for Shaftesbury, Bath, Somerset and Wells. Sitter in 17 portraits.
- Robert Pierrepont (Pierrepoint), 1st Earl of Kingston-upon-Hull (1584-1643), Royalist Lieutenant-General and politician; MP for Nottinghamshire. Sitter in 12 portraits.
- William Laud (1573-1645), Archbishop of Canterbury. Sitter associated with 61 portraits.
- Robert Bertie, 1st Earl of Lindsey (1582-1642), Admiral. Sitter in 24 portraits.
- Sir George Lisle (circa 1610-1648), Royalist leader and martyr. Sitter in 13 portraits.
- Sir Charles Lucas (1613-1648), Soldier and royalist commander. Sitter associated with 13 portraits.
- James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose (1612-1650), Soldier. Sitter associated with 36 portraits.
- William Cavendish, 1st Duke of Newcastle-upon-Tyne (baptised 1593-1676), Writer, diplomat, courtier, royalist army officer and politician. Sitter associated with 37 portraits.
- Spencer Compton, 2nd Earl of Northampton (1601-1643), Royalist soldier and politician; MP for Ludlow. Sitter in 19 portraits.
- George Goring, Earl of Norwich (1583?-1663), Royalist soldier and politician; MP for Lewes. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Thomas Wentworth, 1st Earl of Strafford (1593-1641), Statesman. Sitter associated with 109 portraits.
- Lord Bernard Stuart (1622-1645), 'Earl of Lichfield' and royalist Army Officer. Sitter associated with 13 portraits.
Events of 1700back to top
Current affairsThe sudden death of Prince William, son of Princess Anne and George, Prince of Denmark, triggers a succession crisis. His birth had secured the succession of the crown to a Protestant, safeguarding the throne from any future claim by James II's Catholic son, James Francis.
Art and scienceDramatist, William Congreve's comedy The Way of the World premieres at Lincoln's Inn Theatre, receiving a mixed reception. It would achieve greater literary acclaim in modern times.
Poet, John Dryden, dies and is buried in Geoffrey Chaucer's grave in Westminster Abbey.
InternationalDiplomat and poet, Matthew Prior, secretly negotiates with Louis XIV, king of France, a second partition treaty concerning the Spanish Empire. However, following the death of Spanish ruler, Carlos II, the agreement collapses since neither Spanish or Austrian governments accept the treaty's proposals.
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.
- Tudor Miniatures
- Charles I
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.