'Family of Sir Thomas More'
9 of 9 portraits of John More
'Family of Sir Thomas More'
by Christian von Mechel, after Hans Holbein the Younger
7 3/4 in. x 5 1/2 in. (197 mm x 140 mm) paper size
Given by Sir Herbert Henry Raphael, 1st Bt, 1916
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- Margaret Clements (née Giggs) (1508-1570), Adopted daughter of Sir Thomas More. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Elizabeth Dauncey (née More) (1506-1564), Second daughter of Sir Thomas More; wife of William Dauncey. Sitter in 9 portraits.
- Cecily Heron (née More) (born 1507), Youngest daughter of Sir Thomas More. Sitter in 8 portraits.
- Alice More (née Middleton) (1471-circa 1551), Second wife of Sir Thomas More. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Anne More (née Cresacre) (1511-1577), Wife of John More, son of Sir Thomas More. Sitter in 8 portraits.
- Sir John More (circa 1451-1530), Judge; father of Sir Thomas More. Sitter in 9 portraits.
- John More (1510-1547), Son of Sir Thomas More. Sitter in 9 portraits.
- Sir Thomas More (1478-1535), Lord Chancellor, classical scholar, author of 'Utopia' and canonized 1935. Sitter associated with 54 portraits.
- Henry Patenson (circa 1487-1527), Sir Thomas More's fool. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Margaret Roper (1505-1544), Daughter of Sir Thomas More. Sitter in 7 portraits.
Events of 1794back to top
Current affairsTreason Trials against John Horne Tooke, Thomas Hardy and John Thelwall take place amidst fears of domestic revolution. Their acquittal marks the most dramatic victory of the cause.
Leader of the Opposition, Charles James Fox's Libel Bill secures the landmark right of trial by jury for the accused.
Thomas Muir and the four other Scottish Martyrs who campaigned for parliamentary reform were transported to Australia for sedition.
Art and scienceEdward Jenner discovers the smallpox inoculation after realising that those who worked with cattle and caught cowpox developed immunity.
Drury Lane Theatre re-opens under the management of the playwright Richard Brinsley Sheridan. In competition with the Covent Garden Theatre it featured a new pit and boxes designed by architect Henry Holland.
InternationalMaximilien Robespierre, member of the French dictatorial Committee of Public Safety is arrested and executed as part of a conspiracy by enemies who disliked his anti-extremist stance and zeal for social reform.
Campaign in the Low Countries under the Duke of York. Allies are defeated and French reoccupy Brussels. British troops retreat to Holland.
Exhibitions and displays
- 1517: Martin Luther and the English Reformation
Until 2 December
- WebQuest: Henry VIII - Man Versus Myth
- Tudor Miniatures
- Tints, texture and original intent, in four after-Holbein portraits
- Technique and effects of the after-Holbein copyists
- Holbein and his copyists
- The contexts for the production and demand for painted versions and copies in the sixteenth and early seventeenth century
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Lunchtime Lecture: How to Behave Badly in Renaissance Britain
4 October, 13:15
- Lunchtime Lecture: Black Tudors: Three Untold Stories
18 October, 13:15
- International Conference: Portraiture and Biography
From 29 November, 00:00