28 of 36 portraits by Thomas Bowles Jr
printed for Thomas Bowles Jr, and printed for John Bowles, after Sir Peter Lely
mezzotint, published circa 1750-1760
13 7/8 in. x 10 in. (352 mm x 255 mm) plate size; 15 3/8 in. x 11 in. (392 mm x 280 mm) paper size
Given by Sir Herbert Henry Raphael, 1st Bt, 1916
Artistsback to top
- John Bowles (1701?-1779), Printseller and publisher. Artist associated with 116 portraits.
- Thomas Bowles Jr (1689 or 1690?-1767), Printseller and publisher. Artist associated with 36 portraits.
- Sir Peter Lely (1618-1680), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 843 portraits, Sitter in 19 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (Chapter House, St Paul's Churchyard, London; ye Black Horse, Cornhill, London)
Events of 1750back to top
Current affairsNotorious highwayman James MacLaine is apprehended and hanged at Tyburn, having passed in society as a wealthy gentleman for two years.
Scottish landlords start evicting tenants in the Highland Clearances.
Westminster Bridge is opened, the only fixed crossing of the River Thames between London Bridge and Putney.
Iron Act is passed restricting the manufacture of iron products in the American colonies.
Art and scienceElectrician and experimental philosopher John Canton reads a paper before the Royal Society on a method of making artificial magnets.
Writer Samuel Johnson begins publishing his periodical The Rambler.
Artist Joshua Reynolds travels to Italy, where he remains until 1752.
Establishment of the Jockey Club; a gentleman's club which took over the regulation of British horse racing.
InternationalComposer Johann Sebastian Bach dies in Leipzig. He completes his Mass in B Minor, worked on over many years, shortly before his death.
Develop your art skills
Discover our BP Next Generation short films made by artists. Follow step by step guides in drawing and painting techniques.
Hold Still photography workshop
Reflect on your own experiences of lockdown through this easy-to-do from home, photographic exercise.
Draw Like a Renaissance Master
Revisit The Encounter exhibition and learn about Renaissance and Baroque drawing methods and materials.
- Barbara Villiers
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Duchess of Cleveland Appeal
- Alexander Browne and Richard Tompson
- Painted Ladies: Women at the Court of Charles II
- Catherine Sedley
- 2018 Anniversaries
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints