74 of 165 portraits matching these criteria:
- set matching 'Wheatley's London (vol 1, part 3)'
by William Marshall, after Unknown artist
line engraving, 1641
4 7/8 in. x 2 1/2 in. (125 mm x 64 mm) paper size
Given by Sir Herbert Henry Raphael, 1st Bt, 1916
Artistsback to top
Related worksback to top
Events of 1641back to top
Current affairsStatesman, John Pym, plays a leading part in bringing charges of treason against the king's chief councillor, Thomas Wentworth, Earl of Strafford whose subsequent execution is widely celebrated.
The Grand Remonstrance, a long, comprehensive indictment of the king's government since his accession, is narrowly passed by Parliament.
Art and scienceFollowing the death of Sir Anthony van Dyck, William Dobson is appointed Principal Painter to the king.
Poet and polemicist, John Milton, publishes the first of several anti-prelatical tracts, attacking the episcopal form of church governance and in particular, the arguments of royalist Joseph Hall, Bishop of Norwich.
InternationalThe Irish Catholic gentry, fearing invasion from the increasingly pro-Puritan English Long Parliament and the Scottish Covenants, launch an unsuccessful coup d'etat in order to seize concessions for Catholics; the ensuing Irish Rebellion, which precipitated civil war in the three kingdoms, is led by Irish rebel, Sir Phelim O'Neill.
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints