Queen Elizabeth I
1 portrait of Crispijn de Passe the Elder
Queen Elizabeth I
by Charles Turner, published by Samuel Woodburn, after Crispijn de Passe the Elder, after Isaac Oliver
mezzotint, published 1816 or after
15 1/2 in. x 10 5/8 in. (394 mm x 270 mm) plate size; 17 5/8 in. x 13 5/8 in. (448 mm x 345 mm) paper size
Given by Sir Herbert Henry Raphael, 1st Bt, 1916
Sitterback to top
- Queen Elizabeth I (1533-1603), Reigned 1558-1603. Sitter associated with 135 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Crispijn de Passe the Elder (circa 1565-1637), Engraver, draughtsman and print publisher. Artist associated with 36 portraits.
- Isaac Oliver (circa 1565-1617), Miniature painter. Artist associated with 72 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Charles Turner (1773-1857), Engraver. Artist associated with 619 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Samuel Woodburn (1786-1853), Picture dealer. Artist associated with 142 portraits.
Related worksback to top
Events of 1816back to top
Current affairsMarriage of Princess Charlotte to Leopold I.
Income Tax abolished.
Unsuccessful Spa Fields Riot led by the ultra-radical Arthur Thistlewood which aimed to attack the Tower of London and the Bank of England and set up a ruling 'Committee of Public Safety' following the French model.
Art and scienceJane Austen publishes Emma.
Leeds and Liverpool Canal completed.
InternationalBritish Government buys the Elgin Marbles, taken from the Acropolis in Athens by Thomas Bruce, 7th Earl of Elgin, and brought to England between 1803 and 1812. Their acquisition prompts support from Thomas Lawrence and Benjamin Robert Haydon and condemnation from Lord Byron.
Slave rebellion fails in Barbados; four hundred slaves are executed.
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Tudor Miniatures
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Concealed and Revealed: The Changing Faces of Elizabeth I
- On panel making and the post-1600 Holbein panels
- My Favourite Portrait by Fiona Shaw
- My Favourite Portrait by P.D. James
- Hidden: Unseen Paintings Beneath Tudor Portraits
- Queen Elizabeth I by Nicholas Hilliard
- Tudor pick up guides
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- 2017 Anniversaries
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot