George Frederic Watts
8 of 34 portraits by Henry Herschel Hay Cameron (later The Cameron Studio)
George Frederic Watts
by Henry Herschel Hay Cameron (later The Cameron Studio)
albumen print on card, 1885
9 1/2 in. x 7 1/2 in. (240 mm x 190 mm)
Sitterback to top
- George Frederic Watts (1817-1904), Painter and sculptor; Trustee of the National Portrait Gallery. Sitter in 43 portraits, Artist associated with 92 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Henry Herschel Hay Cameron (later The Cameron Studio) (founded 1886), Photographic Studio. Artist associated with 34 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Watts was one of Julia Margaret's firmest friends and would have known Henry since his boyhood. This study is one of his most successful portraits. In 1905 Henry gave up photography to become an actor.
Linked publicationsback to top
Events of 1885back to top
Current affairsRedistribution Act; continues Gladstone's extensive package of electoral reform, although his Liberal government is later defeated when the Irish Nationalists, seeking support for Home Rule, side with the Conservatives over a budget measure. The Marquess of Salisbury is invited to form a 'caretaker' government.
Art and scienceThe Dictionary of National Biography is first published quarterly, under the editorship of Leslie Stephen, and sub-editorship of Sidney Lee. Volume 63 completed the work in 1900. Setting new standards in life writing, the DNB exemplified the form of the brief biography, formalising a style and approach to writing lives, based on Stephen's guiding principles of selection and presentation in 'business-like form'.
InternationalThe death of the famous General Charles Gordon sparks outrage in Britain. Sent to the Sudan to evacuate Egyptian forces from Khartoum, threatened by Sudanese rebels under Muhammad Ahmad al-Mahdi, Khartoum quickly came under siege, and Gordon is killed and beheaded two days before the relief force arrived. The British public proclaimed Gordon a martyr, and attacked government, particularly Gladstone, for not relieving British forces earlier.
Develop your art skills
Discover our BP Next Generation short films made by artists. Follow step by step guides in drawing and painting techniques.
Hold Still photography workshop
Reflect on your own experiences of lockdown through this easy-to-do from home, photographic exercise.
Draw Like a Renaissance Master
Revisit The Encounter exhibition and learn about Renaissance and Baroque drawing methods and materials.
- The Watts Collection
- Room 26: Portraits by G.F. Watts
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- 2017 Anniversaries
- Room 26: G.F. Watts Bicentenary
- Rebel women
- Room 25: Women, politics and domestic life in Victorian Britain
- Princes of Victorian Bohemia: Photographs by David Wilkie Wynfield
- Julia Margaret Cameron: 'Poets, prophets, painters and lovely maidens'
- Victorian Women Historians
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints