Henry Howard, Earl of Surrey
16 of 23 portraits of Henry Howard, Earl of Surrey
Henry Howard, Earl of Surrey
by Francesco Bartolozzi, published by John Chamberlaine, after Hans Holbein the Younger
stipple engraving printed in colours, published 1 April 1795 (1532)
11 1/4 in. x 9 in. (285 mm x 228 mm) plate size; 15 1/8 in. x 12 1/8 in. (383 mm x 307 mm) paper size
Given by Sir Herbert Henry Raphael, 1st Bt, 1916
Sitterback to top
- Henry Howard, Earl of Surrey (1517?-1547), Poet. Sitter associated with 23 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Francesco Bartolozzi (1727-1815), Engraver. Artist associated with 164 portraits, Sitter in 16 portraits.
- John Chamberlaine (active 1792-1802), Publisher. Artist associated with 20 portraits.
- Hans Holbein the Younger (1497 or 1498-1543), Painter, printmaker and designer; son of Hans Holbein the Elder. Artist associated with 308 portraits, Sitter associated with 25 portraits.
Events of 1795back to top
Current affairsGeorge, Prince of Wales is forced to marry Caroline Amelia Elizabeth of Brunswick, despite having secretly married Maria Fitzherbert in 1785.
Widespread rioting prompts the introduction of the Speenhamland system of welfare supplements which are linked to the price of bread.
Treasonable Practices Act is passed against open criticism of government.
Art and scienceThe MP Matthew Gregory 'Monk' Lewis publishes his notorious gothic novel The Monk to success and scandal because of its immoral content.
Mungo Park explores the course of the River Niger.
InternationalWolfe Tone, founder of The Society of United Irishmen, departs for America after being implicated in high treason in Ireland. Exiled in Philadelphia, he soon leaves for France to ask revolutionaries for assistance.
Joseph Haydn composes the English Canzonettas during his second stay in London.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Late Eighteenth Century Prints and Drawings
- 2018 Anniversaries
- Tudor Miniatures
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Tints, texture and original intent, in four after-Holbein portraits
- Technique and effects of the after-Holbein copyists
- Holbein and his copyists
- The contexts for the production and demand for painted versions and copies in the sixteenth and early seventeenth century
- Loans to the National Gallery
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.