Peter Mark Roget
Peter Mark Roget
by William Drummond, printed by Day & Haghe, published by Thomas McLean, after Eden Upton Eddis
11 1/4 in. x 8 in. (287 mm x 204 mm) paper size
Given by Henry Witte Martin, 1861
Sitterback to top
- Peter Mark Roget (1779-1869), Physician, philologist and savant; author of 'Thesaurus of English Words and Phrases'. Sitter in 4 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Day & Haghe (active 1833-1845), Lithographers. Artist associated with 46 portraits.
- William Drummond (active 1800-1850), Painter, draughtsman and lithographer. Artist associated with 19 portraits.
- Eden Upton Eddis (1812-1901), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 101 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Thomas McLean (1788-1875), Publisher and dealer. Artist associated with 1057 portraits.
Events of 1830back to top
Current affairsGeorge IV dies at Windsor on 26 June; William IV succeeds to the throne.
Duke of Wellington resigns as Prime Minister to be succeeded by Earl Grey.
'Captain Swing' disturbances among agricultural districts in southern England. Taking their name from a mythical leader, hundreds of labourers break the threshing machines that threaten their winter employment.
Art and scienceLiverpool and Manchester Railway opens; MP William Huskisson is run down by a train and killed at the inaugural ceremony.
William Cobbett publishes Rural Rides; a nostalgic tribute to the English countryside which expresses dismay at the sweeping changes taking place.
InternationalJuly Revolution in France overthrows the Bourbon dynasty. Charles X goes into exile in England and Louis Philippe, Duc d'Orleans is proclaimed King by the Chamber of Deputies who fear European opposition to the declaration of a second Republic.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints