Prince Eugène of Savoy
3 of 3 portraits of Prince Eugène of Savoy
Prince Eugène of Savoy
by and sold by John Simon, and sold by Edward Cooper, and sold by Henry Overton, after Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt
mezzotint, published 1712
15 in. x 10 3/4 in. (382 mm x 273 mm) plate size; 15 5/8 in. x 11 3/8 in. (397 mm x 289 mm) paper size
Given by Sir Herbert Henry Raphael, 1st Bt, 1916
Artistsback to top
- Edward Cooper (died 1725), Printseller. Artist associated with 169 portraits, Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Henry Overton (1675 or 1676-1751), Printseller. Artist associated with 9 portraits.
- John Simon (1675-1751), Mezzotint engraver. Artist associated with 213 portraits.
- Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt (1646-1723), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 1686 portraits, Sitter associated with 30 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (Cross Lane, Long Acre; 3 Pidgeons, Bedford Street; White horse, without Newgate, London)
Events of 1712back to top
Current affairsWhig MP, Robert Walpole, Earl of Orford is found guilty by Parliament of 'a high breach of trust and notorious corruption', over reserving army forage contracts for banker, Robert Mann, and imprisoned in the Tower. Walpole would later become the first British Prime Minister in all but name in 1721.
Art and scienceMock epic poem, The Rape of the Lock, by satirical poet Alexander Pope is first published.
Ironmonger Thomas Newcomen demonstrates his invention of the atmospheric steam engine in London.
Charles Boyle, Earl of Orrery, commissions a mechanical solar system model from mechanic John Rowley who names it an orrery.
InternationalThomas Wentworth, Earl of Strafford and John Robinson, bishop of Bristol, are appointed plenipotentiaries to the Utrecht peace congress. Foundations for peace between Britain and France, were based on preliminary agreements previously negotiated in London and Paris, the details of which were unbeknownst to the plenipotentiaries or Britain's allies.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.