'James I and his royal progeny'
49 of 49 portraits of Anne of Denmark
'James I and his royal progeny'
by Charles Turner, published by Samuel Woodburn, after Willem de Passe
mezzotint, published 1814
13 3/4 in. x 17 5/8 in. (348 mm x 448 mm) paper size
Given by Sir Herbert Henry Raphael, 1st Bt, 1916
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- Anne of Denmark (1574-1619), Queen of James I. Sitter associated with 49 portraits.
- King Charles I (1600-1649), Reigned 1625-49. Sitter associated with 335 portraits.
- Charles Lewis (Louis), Elector Palatine (1618-1680), Second son of Frederick V, Elector Palatine and King of Bohemia and Elizabeth of Bohemia. Sitter in 21 portraits.
- Elizabeth, Princess of the Palatinate (1618-1680), Abbess; daughter of Frederick V, Elector Palatine and King of Bohemia and Elizabeth of Bohemia. Sitter associated with 12 portraits.
- Frederick V, King of Bohemia and Elector Palatine (1596-1632), Calvinist and son-in-law of James I. Sitter associated with 36 portraits.
- Frederick Henry, Prince of the Palatinate (1614-1629), Eldest son of Frederick V, Elector Palatine and King of Bohemia and Elizabeth of Bohemia. Sitter in 10 portraits.
- Henry, Prince of Wales (1594-1612), Eldest son of James I. Sitter in 42 portraits.
- King James I of England and VI of Scotland (1566-1625), Reigned Scotland 1567-1625 and England 1603-25. Sitter associated with 199 portraits.
- Prince Louis (circa 1624-circa 1625), Son of Frederick V and Elizabeth of Bohemia. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Louise Hollandine, Princess Palatine (1622-1709), Abbess of Maubisson; daughter of Frederick V and Elizabeth of Bohemia. Sitter in 6 portraits, Artist associated with 1 portrait.
- Princess Mary (1605-1607), Daughter of James I. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Maurice, Prince Palatine (1621-1652), Fourth son of Frederick V, Elector Palatine and King of Bohemia and Elizabeth of Bohemia. Sitter in 12 portraits.
- Prince Rupert, Count Palatine (1619-1682), Soldier and patron of science; son of Frederick V, Elector Palatine and King of Bohemia and Elizabeth of Bohemia. Sitter associated with 45 portraits, Artist associated with 1 portrait.
- Princess Sophia (1607-1607), Daughter of James I. Sitter in 5 portraits.
Related worksback to top
Events of 1814back to top
Current affairsPrincess Caroline leaves England for a lengthy series of travels in Europe and the Middle East. Scandalous gossip promptly surrounds her relationship with her Italian valet, Count Bartholomew Bergami.
George, Prince Regent, hosts a visit of the victorious allies to England with spectacular celebrations and fireworks at Carlton House.
Art and scienceJohn Soane completes the construction of Dulwich Picture Gallery.
First steam printing machine in the world is used to publish The Times.
New Royal Mint opens at Tower Hill with improved precision machinery.
Grand Western Canal completed from Loudwell to Tiverton.
InternationalParis falls under allied attack; Napoleon sent into exile on Elba.
Force of British veterans lands at Chesapeake Bay, defeats Americans at Bladensburg and burns parts of Washington DC.
Peace treaty signed with Americans in Ghent. General Pakenham is killed leading attack on New Orleans before news of the peace reaches America.
Visit From Your Armchair
Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize
An online exhibition celebrating the very best in contemporary portrait photography.
Explore our community photography project, which presents a personal record of the UK during lockdown.
Sculptures in 360°
See sculptures and fascinating objects from our Collection from all angles.
David Hockney: Drawing from Life
Watch highlights from our special exhibition, which had to close early in March 2020 due to lockdown.
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Tudor Miniatures
- My Favourite Portrait by Sonia Boyce
- Charles I
- Henry Prince of Wales
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Inspirational quotes from 10 significant LGBTQI people in the Collection
- Sir Henry Charles Englefield
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.