by Alexander Bassano
carbon cabinet card, 1887 (1882)
5 3/8 in. x 3 7/8 in. (137 mm x 97 mm)
Sitterback to top
- Queen Victoria (1819-1901), Reigned 1837-1901. Sitter associated with 546 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Alexander Bassano (1829-1913), Photographer. Artist associated with 2808 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Muir, Robin, The World's Most Photographed, 2005 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 6 July to 23 October 2005), p. 28
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1882back to top
Current affairsThe Ashes Test cricket series is born. The series gets its name from a satirical obituary published in the English newspaper The Sporting Times, stating that English cricket had died and its cremated body was being taken back to Australia, after England, with batsmen W. G. Grace and Charles Studd, lost the first home match to Australia at the Oval.
The Married Women's Property Act is passed, securing equal property rights between married couples.
Art and scienceEadweard Muybridge, British photographer, exhibits his images of animal and human motion, captured with his 'zoopraxiscope', a motion-picture machine recreating movement by displaying individual photographs in rapid succession, at the Royal Academy and Royal Institution. His studies and inventions contributed to the development of motion pictures, with E.J. Marey and the Lumiere brothers acknowledging his impact.
InternationalThe Zioinist movement begins, with the first wave of Jewish immigrants to Palestine, at this time part of the Ottoman empire. The Jewish people were in Diaspora, spread across the world, and Palestine, the place of Jewish origin but now also occupied by Muslims and Christians, seemed a logical place for a settlement.
Make a donation
Support our Make History appeal and help us transform the Gallery.
A unique range of books, accessories and gifts. Every purchase supports the Gallery’s work.
Bring a familiar face home
Refresh your home gallery with a huge selection of custom art prints .
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- The World's Most Photographed
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Queen Victoria Trail
- Prince Albert Trail
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Bassano Studio Portrait Collection
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.