1 portrait of John Fletcher
by William Marshall, after Unknown artist
line engraving, published 1647
12 1/8 in. x 7 1/4 in. (308 mm x 183 mm) paper size
Given by Sir Herbert Henry Raphael, 1st Bt, 1916
Artistsback to top
Events of 1647back to top
Current affairsPutney debaters. Civilian Levellers and parliamentary soldiers discuss a new constitution for the country; discussions focus on drafted proposals from both groups with Commissary-General Henry Ireton attempting to moderate the Levellers's radical Agreement of the People.
Scots surrender Charles I to Parliament. Imprisoned at various locations, Charles enjoys relative freedom.
Art and scienceMariner, Sir Robert Dudley, publishes his maritime encyclopedia, Dell' Arcano del Mare with illustrations by Antonio Francesco Lucini. Written in Italian, the pioneering work includes cartography by Dudley of the earliest printed sea atlas of the world.
Anglo-Dutch portrait painter, Daniel Mytens, Van Dyck's predecessor as court painter, dies.
InternationalReleased from the Tower, George Monck, Duke of Albemarle, is appointed commander of Parliament's forces in eastern Ulster.
The Irish Confederate suffer resounding defeats at the battles of Dungan's Hill and Knocknanauss against English Parliamentary forces.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- John Fletcher
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints