House of Stuart
21 of 27 portraits of William, Duke of Gloucester
House of Stuart
by Unknown engraver, sold by Charles Price, after Sir Anthony van Dyck, and after Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt
engraving, after 1713
14 1/4 in. x 10 5/8 in. (362 mm x 270 mm) paper size
Given by Sir Herbert Henry Raphael, 1st Bt, 1916
Artistsback to top
- Charles Price (circa 1679-1733), Printseller. Artist associated with 2 portraits.
- Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt (1646-1723), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 1686 portraits, Sitter associated with 30 portraits.
- Unknown engraver, Engraver. Artist associated with 141 portraits.
- Sir Anthony van Dyck (1599-1641), Painter. Artist associated with 1023 portraits, Sitter associated with 30 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Queen Anne (1665-1714), Reigned 1702-14. Sitter associated with 74 portraits. Identify
- King Charles I (1600-1649), Reigned 1625-49. Sitter associated with 335 portraits. Identify
- King James I of England and VI of Scotland (1566-1625), Reigned Scotland 1567-1625 and England 1603-25. Sitter associated with 199 portraits. Identify
- King James II (1633-1701), Reigned 1685-88. Sitter associated with 134 portraits. Identify
- Queen Mary II (1662-1694), Reigned with William III 1689-94. Sitter associated with 97 portraits. Identify
- William, Duke of Gloucester (1689-1700), Son of Queen Anne. Sitter in 32 portraits. Identify
Events of 1713back to top
Current affairsAn ailing Queen Anne is unable to attend a thanksgiving ceremony at St. Paul's in July to celebrate the treaty of Utrecht, attended by both Houses of Parliament in full state.
John Churchill, Duke of Marlborough, on self-imposed exile on the continent, is joined by his wife, Sarah Churchill.
Art and scienceLiterary fraternity, the Scriblerus Club is founded. Consisting of satirists, including Jonathan Swift, Alexander Pope and Thomas Parnell, the club ridiculed current trends in scholarship and culture through the fictitious literary character, Martinus Scriblerus.
Joseph Addison's play, Cato, premieres at Drury Lane and becomes an immediate success.
InternationalTreaty of Utrecht, principally conceived by Robert Harley, Earl of Oxford and Henry, St. John, Viscount Bolingbroke, ends the War of the Spanish Succession against France. The accord establishes Bourbon, Philip d'Anjou, on the Spanish throne, with provisos, and forces Louis XIV to recognise a Hanoverian succession in Britain.
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Alexander Browne and Richard Tompson
- Tudor Miniatures
- Charles I
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- My Favourite Portrait by Sonia Boyce
- Inspirational quotes from 10 significant LGBTQI people in the Collection
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- NPG D2930 in 360°
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Party Trail
- Photographer in Focus: John Stezaker
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- The Beautiful and the Damned
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints