George Frederic Watts
George Frederic Watts
by and published by Sampson Low, Marston, Searle and Rivington, after Frank Dudman, for Joseph Parkin Mayall
photogravure, circa 1883, published 1884
6 1/2 in. x 8 5/8 in. (166 mm x 219 mm) image size
Sitterback to top
- George Frederic Watts (1817-1904), Painter and sculptor. Sitter in 43 portraits, Artist associated with 92 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Frank Dudman (1855-1918), Photographer. Artist associated with 22 portraits.
- Sampson Low, Marston, Searle and Rivington, Photographers. Artist associated with 376 portraits.
- Joseph Parkin Mayall (1839-1906), Photographer; son of John Jabez Edwin Mayall (née Jabez Meal). Artist associated with 32 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (sitter's home, Little Holland House, 6 Melbury Road, Kensington, London)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1883back to top
Current affairsFollowing the Secret Ballot Act (1872), the Corrupt and Illegal Practices Act was a further measure introduced by Gladstone's government with the intention of limiting bribery and intimidation in elections. Candidates' expenses were published, and a strict limit set on expenses, and it also enabled poorer candidates to stand for parliament.
Art and scienceThe Royal College of Music founded in London, with the British musicologist George Grove as its first director.
Monet moves to Giverny, a village along the Seine, where he lives until his death in 1926. Renting a farmhouse he later buys, Monet designs a pond, redesigns the garden, and begins to paint some of his most recognisable images of water lilies, flower beds and the Japanese footbridge.
InternationalThe Brooklyn Bridge opens in New York, connecting the boroughs of Manhattan and Brooklyn, stretching 1825 metres over the East River. One of the oldest suspension bridges in America, it was the largest in the world upon completion. Designed by the John Augustus Roebling's engineering firm, the bridge is built from limestone, granite and Rosendale natural cement, in gothic style.
- The Watts Collection
- Room 26: Portraits by G.F. Watts
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- 2017 Anniversaries
- Room 26: G.F. Watts Bicentenary
- Rebel women
- Room 25: Women, politics and domestic life in Victorian Britain
- Princes of Victorian Bohemia: Photographs by David Wilkie Wynfield
- Julia Margaret Cameron: 'Poets, prophets, painters and lovely maidens'
- Photographic holdings - Albums 76-162
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints