1 portrait of Richard Cosway
by and published by Marino or Mariano Bovi (Bova), published by Emanuel Matthew Diemar, after Richard Cosway
stipple engraving, published 20 March 1786
10 1/8 in. x 6 1/4 in. (257 mm x 158 mm) paper size
Given by Sir Herbert Henry Raphael, 1st Bt, 1916
Sitterback to top
- Richard Cosway (1742-1821), Miniature painter. Sitter in 16 portraits, Artist associated with 98 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1786back to top
Current affairsPhilosopher and politician Edmund Burke instigates impeachment proceedings against Warren Hastings, former Governor-General of Bengal after concerns about the moral standards of the British in India are raised.
Prime Minister William Pitt appoints commissioners for the reduction of the national debt and establishes a sinking fund of £1 million a year.
Government approves the establishment of a penal colony at Botany Bay.
Art and scienceRobert Burns publishes Poems Chiefly in the Scottish Dialect bringing him immediate success across the country.
Engraver and publisher John Boydell initiates plans for his Shakespeare Gallery in an effort to establish a school of British history painting.
Merchant David Dale establishes New Lanark in South Lanarkshire, Scotland, as a model cotton milling community.
InternationalGeneral Charles Cornwallis succeeds Warren Hastings as Governor-General in India.
Composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's Marriage of Figaro premieres in Vienna.
Francisco Goya is appointed court painter to the Spanish king Charles III.
- Late Eighteenth Century Prints and Drawings
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Emma Hamilton
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Maria Cosway
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Ludwig Van Beethoven
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Thomas Jefferson
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Horatio Nelson