Sydenham Poyntz (Poynts)
Sydenham Poyntz (Poynts)
after Unknown artist
line engraving, published 1647?
4 1/8 in. x 3 in. (104 mm x 77 mm) plate size; 5 3/8 in. x 3 3/8 in. (135 mm x 87 mm) paper size
Given by Ernest E. Leggatt, 1922
Sitterback to top
- Sydenham Poyntz (Poynts) (born circa 1607), Parliamentarian army officer. Sitter associated with 9 portraits.
Events of 1647back to top
Current affairsPutney debaters. Civilian Levellers and parliamentary soldiers discuss a new constitution for the country; discussions focus on drafted proposals from both groups with Commissary-General Henry Ireton attempting to moderate the Levellers's radical Agreement of the People.
Scots surrender Charles I to Parliament. Imprisoned at various locations, Charles enjoys relative freedom.
Art and scienceMariner, Sir Robert Dudley, publishes his maritime encyclopedia, Dell' Arcano del Mare with illustrations by Antonio Francesco Lucini. Written in Italian, the pioneering work includes cartography by Dudley of the earliest printed sea atlas of the world.
Anglo-Dutch portrait painter, Daniel Mytens, Van Dyck's predecessor as court painter, dies.
InternationalReleased from the Tower, George Monck, Duke of Albemarle, is appointed commander of Parliament's forces in eastern Ulster.
The Irish Confederate suffer resounding defeats at the battles of Dungan's Hill and Knocknanauss against English Parliamentary forces.
Visit From Your Armchair
Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize
An online exhibition celebrating the very best in contemporary portrait photography.
Explore our community photography project, which presents a personal record of the UK during lockdown.
Sculptures in 360°
See sculptures and fascinating objects from our Collection from all angles.
David Hockney: Drawing from Life
Watch highlights from our special exhibition, which had to close early in March 2020 due to lockdown.
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.