© Eugene and Willa Watson / National Portrait Gallery, London
The Smiths (Mike Joyce; Morrissey; Johnny Marr; Andy Rourke)
by Eric Watson
selenium-toned print, 1980s
9 in. x 8 7/8 in. (228 mm x 227 mm)
Given by Eric Watson, 1998
- Mike Joyce (1963-), Musician; drummer for The Smiths. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Johnny Marr (1963-), Musician; member of The Smiths. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Morrissey (Steven Patrick Morrissey) (1959-), Musician and singer and songwriter for 'The Smiths'. Sitter in 9 portraits.
- Andy Rourke (1964-), Musician; member of The Smiths. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Eric Watson (1955-2012), Photographer, director and teacher. Artist of 35 portraits.
Margaret Thatcher makes one of her most famous speeches, living up to her nickname of 'the Iron Lady'. The speech was given to the Conservative Party conference in Brighton in response to the media speculation that the party would go back on its counter-inflationary policies: 'The lady's not for turning!'
Art and science
John Lennon is murdered on the steps of his house. After fatally shooting him, Mark David Chapman calmly sat down on the pavement and waited to be arrested by police. Chapman had a history of mental illness and claimed that he had committed the murder as a way of getting attention.
Iraq invades Iran, beginning eight years of conflict. The invasion followed years of border disputes, but was precipitated by the 1979 revolution in Iran and the resulting instability which Saddam Hussein saw as an opportunity to expand Iraqi influence in the region. Despite early gains for Iraq, the conflict soon descended into a war of attrition with huge causalities caused by Iraq's use of chemical weapons.