Sir John Leake
8 of 33 portraits by Thomas Bowles Jr
Sir John Leake
by John Faber Jr, published by Thomas Bowles Jr, published by John Bowles, after Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt
mezzotint, 1722 (1712)
14 in. x 10 1/8 in. (356 mm x 256 mm) paper size
Given by Sir Herbert Henry Raphael, 1st Bt, 1916
Artistsback to top
- John Bowles (1701?-1779), Printseller and publisher. Artist associated with 116 portraits.
- Thomas Bowles Jr (1689 or 1690?-1767), Printseller and publisher. Artist associated with 36 portraits.
- John Faber Jr (circa 1695-1756), Engraver and portrait and miniature painter. Artist associated with 816 portraits.
- Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt (1646-1723), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 1686 portraits, Sitter associated with 30 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (St Paul's Churchyard and Stocks Market, London)
Events of 1722back to top
Current affairsAtterbury Plot discovered; Francis Atterbury, Bishop of Rochester is accused of promoting the Jacobite rising. Other leading Jacobite sympathisers are also arrested and Atterbury is banished the following year.
General Election is won by the Whigs.
Art and scienceDaniel Defoe publishes his novel Moll Flanders which traces the redemption of Moll, a penitent prostitute, thief and American convict.
Writer and politician Richard Steele premieres his play The Conscious Lovers at the Drury Lane Theatre, London to great acclaim.
InternationalIn sweeping reforms aimed at modernising Russia, Peter the Great introduces the Table of Ranks; a new meritocratic order of precedence which aims to break the power of the hereditary nobility.
Dutch discover Easter Island, beginning a spate of European discovery in the islands of the Pacific.
Iroquois League of Native Americans becomes known as the Six Nations, after the Tuscarora join the group.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints