1 portrait matching ''
- 'Your search term must contain at least three characters'
by W. & D. Downey
albumen cabinet card, 1893
5 3/4 in. x 3 7/8 in. (145 mm x 98 mm)
acquired unknown source, 1976
Sitterback to top
- Queen Victoria (1819-1901), Reigned 1837-1901. Sitter associated with 543 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Moorhouse, Paul and Cannadine, David (appreciation), The Queen: Art and Image, 2011 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 17 May to 21 October 2012), p. 21
Events of 1893back to top
Current affairsKeir Hardie is among the group who formalise the Independent Labour Party, and is elected chairman and party leader at the opening conference. Gladstone continues with his campaign for home rule in Ireland, introducing the Second Home Rule Bill, which is passed by the Commons but vetoed by the Lords.
Art and scienceArt Nouveau becomes a fully established movement in European art and design, after emerging in different countries and across different disciplines at the start of the decade. Key figures include the illustrator Aubrey Beardsley, architects Victor Horta and Paul Hankar, and the designer Alphonse Mucha. Art Nouveau is characterised by the 'whiplash' line, a decorative line which represents graphically the desire to break free from traditional aesthetic constraints.
InternationalGandhi's ejection from a South African train carriage on account of his race is the catalyst for his non-violent activism in leading the struggle for Indian independence from British rule.
New Zealand becomes the first self-governing country to grant women the vote.
The Chicago World's Fair is visited by more than 200 million people, with Nikola Tesla and George Westinghouse introducing electrical power to illuminate the fair.
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- The World's Most Photographed
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Queen Victoria Trail
- Prince Albert Trail
- Conquering England
- Punch's artists
- Lives and Letters
- Alexandra of Denmark
- Photographic holdings - Albums 76-162
- Thomas Hardy