2 of 8 portraits by Benjamin Beale Evans
by Thomas Chambers (Chambars), published by Benjamin Beale Evans, after Richard Cosway
stipple engraving, published 12 July 1787 (1787)
6 7/8 in. x 4 1/2 in. (175 mm x 114 mm) plate size; 9 1/4 in. x 6 5/8 in. (235 mm x 169 mm) paper size
Given by Sir Herbert Henry Raphael, 1st Bt, 1916
Sitterback to top
- Charles Geneviève Louis Auguste André Timothée d'Eon de Beaumont (1728-1810), Diplomatist and transvestite. Sitter in 19 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1787back to top
Current affairsSocial reformers Granville Sharp and Thomas Clarkson found the Society for Effecting the Abolition of the Slave Trade in London with support from John Wesley, Josiah Wedgwood and others.
George III shows first signs of mental instability in November.
Art and sciencePainter Robert Barker takes out a patent on the Panorama..
Astronomer William Herschel discovers the two moons of Uranus, Titania and Oberon.
The original Lord's Cricket Ground holds its first cricket match.
InternationalCaptain William Bligh sets sail for Tahiti on The Bounty.
First performance of composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's Don Giovanni at the National Theatre, Prague.
A British ship lands a party of freed slaves as the first modern settlers in Sierra Leone.
Captain Arthur Phillip leaves Portsmouth with eleven ships full of convicts to establish a penal colony in Australia.
Bahamas become a British colony.
- Only Connect - installation video
- Only Connect
- Late Eighteenth Century Prints and Drawings
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Emma Hamilton
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Maria Cosway
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Ludwig Van Beethoven
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Thomas Jefferson
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Horatio Nelson
- Chevalier d’Eon
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- The Chevalier d’Eon
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints