Commemoration of the 14th February 1797
1 portrait of Sir George Murray
Commemoration of the 14th February 1797
by William Henry Worthington, and by James Parker, published by Robert Bowyer, after Robert Smirke
line engraving, published 1803
26 5/8 in. x 19 in. (677 mm x 484 mm) plate size
Artistsback to top
- Robert Bowyer (1758-1834), Miniature painter and publisher. Artist associated with 46 portraits.
- James Parker (1750-1805), Photographer. Artist associated with 17 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Robert Smirke (1753-1845), Painter and illustrator. Artist associated with 23 portraits, Sitter in 8 portraits.
- William Henry Worthington (circa 1790-after 1839), Engraver. Artist associated with 33 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Sir Robert Calder (1744 or 1745-1818), Admiral. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Cuthbert Collingwood, Baron Collingwood (1748-1810), Admiral. Sitter in 13 portraits. Identify
- James Richard Dacres (1749-1810), Naval officer. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- James Saumarez, 1st Baron de Saumarez (1757-1836), Admiral. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
- Sir Thomas Foley (1757-1833), Admiral. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- Thomas Lenox Frederick (1750-1799), Rear-Admiral. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Sir George Grey, 1st Bt (1767-1828), Naval captain. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- V.T. Irwin (active 1797), Naval officer. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Sir Charles Henry Knowles, 2nd Bt (1754-1831), Naval officer. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Sir George Martin (1764-1847), Naval officer. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Ralph Willett Miller (1762-1799), Naval captain. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Sir George Murray (1759-1819), Naval officer. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Horatio Nelson, Viscount Nelson (1758-1805), Vice-Admiral and victor of Trafalgar. Sitter in 86 portraits. Identify
- Sir William Parker (1743-1802), Vice-Admiral. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- William Waldegrave, 1st Baron Radstock (1753-1825), Admiral. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
- John Jervis, Earl of St Vincent (1735-1823), Admiral. Sitter associated with 30 portraits. Identify
- Sir John Sutton (died 1825), Naval officer. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Sir Charles Thompson, Bt (1740?-1799), Vice-Admiral. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- George Henry Towry (1767-1809), Naval officer. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Sir Thomas Troubridge, 1st Bt (1758?-1807), Rear-Admiral. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
- Sir James Hawkins Whitshed, 1st Bt (1762-1849), Naval officer. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
Related worksback to top
Portrait setback to top
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1803back to top
Current affairsThe Vice Society is formally established by John Reeves and his associates to campaign against blasphemy and immorality, particularly that perpetrated by Thomas Paine and the Edinburgh Review.
Art and scienceErasmus Darwin's Temple of Nature published posthumously. A scientific treaty in the form of an elaborate couplet poem, its content anticipated some of the evolutionary ideas developed by his grandson, Charles Darwin, fifty years later.
Construction of the Caledonian Canal begins.
InternationalWar with France resumes, sparking new fears of a cross-channel invasion.
United Irishman, Robert Emmett's attempted uprising in Dublin. Planned to coincide with Napoleon's expected invasion, it aimed to overthrow the English administration but ended in failure. Emmett is hanged along with several other conspirators.
Visit From Your Armchair
Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize
An online exhibition celebrating the very best in contemporary portrait photography.
Explore our community photography project, which presents a personal record of the UK during lockdown.
Sculptures in 360°
See sculptures and fascinating objects from our Collection from all angles.
David Hockney: Drawing from Life
Watch highlights from our special exhibition, which had to close early in March 2020 due to lockdown.
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- My Favourite Portrait by Alan Titchmarsh
- Viscount Nelson
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> Joseph Haydn
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> William Hamilton
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> Emma Hamilton
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> Richard Cosway
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Plaster figure makers: a short history
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.