Photograph by Gered Mankowitz © Bowstir Ltd 2018 / mankowitz.com
by Gered Mankowitz
R-type colour print, 1981
15 1/8 in. x 15 in. (385 mm x 380 mm)
Sittersback to top
- Martin Fry (1958-), Singer; lead singer of ABC. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Mark Lickley, Musician; member of 'ABC'. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- David Robinson (1949-), Drummer for ABC in 1981. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Stephen Singleton (1959-), Musician; member of ABC. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Mark White (1961-), Musician, member of the band ABC. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
Artistback to top
- Gered Mankowitz (1946-), Photographer. Artist associated with 34 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
Events of 1981back to top
Current affairsPrince Charles marries Lady Diana Spencer at St Paul's Cathedral. A crowd of 600,000 spectators filled the streets to catch a glimpse of the Royal couple, and 750 million viewers watched the event on television. The iconic moment came when Charles and Diana appeased the crowds by breaking royal protocol and kissing on the balcony of Buckingham Palace.
Art and scienceAndrew Lloyd-Webber's musical Cats, based on T. S. Eliot's Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats, opens in the West End. The show ran for 21 years.
Brideshead Revisited, the 1945 novel by Evelyn Waugh, is adapted for television by John Mortimer. The lavish production featured an all-star cast of Jeremy Irons, Anthony Andrews, Laurence Olivier, Claire Bloom and John Gielgud, setting the bar high for future TV costume dramas.
InternationalPope John Paul II is shot by a Turkish gunman in St Peter's Square in Rome. John Paul was rushed to hospital where he recovered, and Mehmet Ali Agca was caught and sentenced to life imprisonment.
HIV AIDS is identified in five men in Los Angeles.