by Thomas Burke, after Simon de Koster
stipple engraving, published 1807
11 1/8 in. x 8 7/8 in. (283 mm x 227 mm) plate size
Given by Henry Witte Martin, 1861
Sitterback to top
- Horatio Nelson, Viscount Nelson (1758-1805), Vice-Admiral and victor of Trafalgar. Sitter in 86 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar (2 July 2005 - 11 December 2005)
Events of 1807back to top
Current affairsAct is passed abolishing the British slave trade after vigorous campaigning by hundreds of thousands of people led by Thomas Clarkson and championed in parliament by reformer William Wilberforce.
Resignation of 'Ministry of all the Talents'. Whig politician William Henry Cavendish Bentinck, Duke of Portland, succeeds as Prime Minister.
Art and scienceThomas Hope publishes Household Furniture and Interior Decoration; influential in promoting Greek and especially Egyptian models as the epitome of fashionable style.
InternationalFrench invasion of Spain and Portugal.
Britain occupies Copenhagen and captures the Danish fleet.
Napoleon begins to wage an economic battle against Britain, recognising the impossibility of victory at sea because of Britain's superior naval power. He aims to close the entire European coastline to British trade.
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Viscount Nelson
- Plaster figure makers: a short history
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> Joseph Haydn
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> William Hamilton
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> Emma Hamilton
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> Richard Cosway
- Only Connect - installation video
- My Favourite Portrait by Alan Titchmarsh
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints