Sir Alec Guinness
37 of 943 portraits matching these criteria:
- subject matching 'Eating and drinking'
© reserved; collection National Portrait Gallery, London
Sir Alec Guinness
by Lee Miller
modern archival-toned gelatin silver print from original negative, 1947
10 1/4 in. x 10 in. (260 mm x 254 mm)
Artistback to top
- Lee Miller (1907-1977), Photographer. Artist associated with 17 portraits, Sitter in 13 portraits.
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1947back to top
Current affairsPrincess Elizabeth marries Philip Mountbatten at Westminster Abbey. Philip renounced his title of Prince of Greece and Denmark, to become Duke of Edinburgh when he married the heir to the throne.
Art and scienceThe first Edinburgh Festival includes performances by Kathleen Ferrier, Alec Guinness and Margot Fonteyn. The Festival is now a major annual international arts event that takes place over three weeks every August, and includes top class performers in theatre, music and dance as well as lesser-known performers who take part in the parallel 'Fringe Festival'.
InternationalIndia is granted independence from the British Empire and the former British Raj is partitioned into India and Pakistan. After various revolts and several years of civil disobedience led by Gandhi and his Quit India Movement, Britain agrees to disband the Raj and grant independence to India.
Palestine is partitioned into a Jewish State, an Arab State and a small internationally administered zone.
- Artists and sitters
- Cornel Lucas: Shooting Stars
- Bill Brandt: Portraits 1982
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Anthony Buckley
- Portraits of Alec Guinness
- Anthony Buckley: A Retrospective
- Lee Miller: Portraits
- Mirror Mirror: Self-portraits by women artists
- A Question of Identity: Self-Portrait Photographs 1850-2000