by William Barnard, after Lemuel Francis Abbott
mezzotint, published 1798
20 in. x 14 in. (507 mm x 356 mm) plate size
Sitterback to top
- Horatio Nelson, Viscount Nelson (1758-1805), Vice-Admiral and victor of Trafalgar. Sitter in 86 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar (2 July 2005 - 11 December 2005)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1798back to top
Current affairsTo meet war costs, William Pitt introduces a Finance Bill which levies income tax for the first time.
Art and scienceWilliam Wordsworth and Samuel Taylor Coleridge publish Lyrical Ballads; a key publication for the romantic movement in poetry. Coleridge's The Rime of the Ancient Mariner opens the volume.
Publisher and printseller Rudolph Ackermann establishes his popular 'Repository of the Arts' shop, gallery, library and social centre on the Strand.
InternationalUprising of the United Irishmen: a republican rebellion which attempted to achieve Ireland's total independence by force with the aid of a French invasion. It was only narrowly defeated.
Battle of the Nile. Napoleon's visionary Egyptian campaign offers British first major victory as Nelson destroys the French fleet.
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- My Favourite Portrait by Alan Titchmarsh
- Viscount Nelson
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> Joseph Haydn
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> William Hamilton
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> Emma Hamilton
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> Richard Cosway
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Plaster figure makers: a short history
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints