Stars of the British Screen
16 of 38 portraits of Ann Todd
Stars of the British Screen
by Norman Parkinson
cibachrome print, 11 December 1985
15 3/4 in. x 15 3/8 in. (399 mm x 391 mm)
Commissioned, 1985 in conjunction with the NPG at the time of the 'Stars of the British Screen' exhibition
Artistback to top
- Norman Parkinson (1913-1990), Photographer. Artist of 242 portraits, Sitter in 13 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Roy Alfred Clarence Boulting (1913-2001), Film producer and director. Sitter in 8 portraits. Identify
- Betty Evelyn Box (Mrs P.E. Rogers) (1915-1999), Film producer. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- (Violette) Muriel Box (née Baker) (1905-1991), Screenwriter and film director; former wife of Sydney Box, and later wife of Baron Gardiner of Kittisford. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Frank Cvitanovich (1927-1995), Film producer and director. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Suzanna Hamilton (1960-), Actress. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- Hon. Nigel Allan Havers (1951-), Actor; son of Baron Havers. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Valerie Babette Louise Hobson (1917-1998), Film and stage actress; wife of John Profumo. Sitter in 27 portraits. Identify
- Jeremy Irons (1948-), Actor. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
- Roland Victor Joffé (1945-), Film director and producer; grandson of Jacob Epstein. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- Sir Christopher Frank Carandini Lee (1922-2015), Actor. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
- Richard Lester (1932-), Film director. Sitter in 10 portraits. Identify
- Herbert Lom (Herbert Schluderpacheru) (1917-2012), Actor. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Virginia Anne McKenna (1931-), Actress and writer. Sitter in 12 portraits. Identify
- Peter O'Toole (1932-2013), Actor. Sitter in 13 portraits. Identify
- David Terence Puttnam, Baron Puttnam (1941-), Film producer; Chairman of the National Endowment for Science, Technology and the Arts. Sitter in 10 portraits. Identify
- Nicolas Jack Roeg (1928-2018), Cinematographer and film director. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
- Dinah Nadyejda Sheridan (Mrs Aubrey Ison) (1920-2012), Actress. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
- Marianne Stone (1922-2009), Actress. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Sylvia Syms (1934-), Actress, director and producer. Sitter in 10 portraits. Identify
- Dorothy Annie ('Ann') Todd (1909-1993), Actress and producer. Sitter in 38 portraits. Identify
- Richard Todd (Richard Andrew Palethorpe-Todd) (1919-2009), Actor. Sitter in 7 portraits. Identify
- Susannah York (1942-2011), Actress, writer and director. Sitter in 15 portraits. Identify
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (Royal Landing, National Portrait Gallery, London)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1985back to top
Current affairs55 people die in the Manchester air disaster when a British Airtours Boeing 737 bursts into flames after an aborted takeoff at Manchester International Airport.
Art and scienceBob Geldof and Midge Ure organise Live Aid, a rock concert in London and Philadelphia, to raise funds for famine relief. The biggest names in popular music, including Paul McCartney, Queen, Status Quo, The Police, Mick Jagger, David Bowie, U2, The Who, and Led Zeppelin, performed to a TV audience of 1.5 billion.
The British Antarctic Survey discovers a hole in the ozone layer above Antarctica.
InternationalReformer Mikhail Gorbachev comes to power as first secretary of the Soviet Communist party. He calls for 'glasnost' (openness) in Soviet life, and pursues a policy of 'perestroika' (reconstruction).
French intelligence operatives sabotage Rainbow Warrior, the Greenpeace vessel. The ship was leading a protest against French nuclear testing in New Zealand when it was bombed and sunk, killing one of the twelve on board.