18 of 242 portraits by Norman Parkinson
by Norman Parkinson
bromide print on card mount, 1947
12 in. x 10 in. (305 mm x 250 mm)
Given by Norman Parkinson, 1981 in conjunction with the NPG exhibition 'Norman Parkinson: 50 Years of Portraits and Fashion'
Artistback to top
- Norman Parkinson (1913-1990), Photographer. Artist of 242 portraits, Sitter in 13 portraits.
Events of 1947back to top
Current affairsPrincess Elizabeth marries Philip Mountbatten at Westminster Abbey. Philip renounced his title of Prince of Greece and Denmark, to become Duke of Edinburgh when he married the heir to the throne.
Art and scienceThe first Edinburgh Festival includes performances by Kathleen Ferrier, Alec Guinness and Margot Fonteyn. The Festival is now a major annual international arts event that takes place over three weeks every August, and includes top class performers in theatre, music and dance as well as lesser-known performers who take part in the parallel 'Fringe Festival'.
InternationalIndia is granted independence from the British Empire and the former British Raj is partitioned into India and Pakistan. After various revolts and several years of civil disobedience led by Gandhi and his Quit India Movement, Britain agrees to disband the Raj and grant independence to India.
Palestine is partitioned into a Jewish State, an Arab State and a small internationally administered zone.
- Portraits on paper
- Artists and sitters
- John Hedgecoe: Portraits
- Bill Brandt: Portraits 1982
- Ida Kar: Bohemian Photographer, 1908-1974
- Norman Parkinson: Portraits in Fashion
- The Beatles on the Balcony
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Photographs by Norman Parkinson – 50 Years of Portraits and Fashion
- Blow Up: Sixties Photography Exposed
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints