The Wedding of Princess Anne and Captain Mark Phillips
The Wedding of Princess Anne and Captain Mark Phillips
by Norman Parkinson
colour print, 14 November 1973
10 1/2 in. x 13 1/2 in. (267 mm x 342 mm)
Given by Norman Parkinson, 1981 in conjunction with the NPG exhibition 'Norman Parkinson: 50 Years of Portraits and Fashion'
Artistback to top
- Norman Parkinson (1913-1990), Photographer. Artist of 242 portraits, Sitter in 13 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Princess Alexandra, Lady Ogilvy (1936-), Cousin of Queen Elizabeth II; wife of Sir Angus Ogilvy. Sitter in 75 portraits.
- Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone (1883-1981), Granddaughter of Queen Victoria and diplomatic service wife. Sitter in 30 portraits.
- Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester (1901-2004), Wife of Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester; daughter of 7th Duke of Buccleuch and 9th Duke of Queensberry. Sitter in 137 portraits.
- Prince Andrew, Duke of York (1960-), Second son of Queen Elizabeth II. Sitter associated with 38 portraits, Artist of 5 portraits.
- Princess Anne (1950-), Equestrian; Olympian; Princess Royal and daughter of Queen Elizabeth II. Sitter in 129 portraits.
- Anne-Marie of the Hellenes (née Princess Anne-Marie of Denmark) (1946-), Wife of Constantine II of the Hellenes; daughter of King Frederick IX of Denmark. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Queen Beatrix Wilhelmina Armgard of Orange-Nassau (1938-), Queen of the Netherlands, 1980-; daughter of Queen Juliana of the Netherlands. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Prince Charles (1948-), Prince of Wales. Sitter in 163 portraits.
- Lady Sarah Frances Elizabeth Chatto (née Armstrong-Jones) (1964-), Daughter of Princess Margaret Rose and 1st Earl of Snowdon. Sitter in 9 portraits.
- Prince Claus of the Netherlands (né Claus Georg Wilhelm Otto Friedrich Gert von Amsberg) (1926-2002), Diplomat; husband of Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Constantine II of the Hellenes (1940-), King of the Hellenes, 1964-74. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh (1921-), Consort of Elizabeth II. Sitter associated with 218 portraits.
- Prince Edward Antony Richard Louis, Earl of Wessex (1964-), Third son of Queen Elizabeth II. Sitter in 32 portraits.
- Queen Elizabeth II (1926-), Queen regnant. Sitter associated with 952 portraits.
- Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother (1900-2002), Queen of George VI. Sitter associated with 549 portraits, Artist of 1 portrait.
- Birgitte Eva Van Deurs (née Henriksen), Duchess of Gloucester (1946-), Wife of 2nd Duke of Gloucester; daughter of Asger Preben Wissing Henriksen. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Eric Grounds, Captain and charity consultant. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- King Harald V of Norway (1937-), Son of King Olav V of Norway. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Juan Carlos I, King of Spain (1938-), King of Spain (1975-). Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Katharine Lucy Mary Worsley, Duchess of Kent (1933-), Wife of 2nd Duke of Kent. Sitter in 29 portraits.
- David Albert Charles Armstrong-Jones, Viscount Linley (1961-), Furniture designer; son of Princess Margaret Rose and 1st Earl of Snowdon. Sitter in 10 portraits.
- Princess Margaret (1930-2002), Daughter of George VI; Countess of Snowdon. Sitter associated with 279 portraits.
- Prince Michael of Kent (1942-), Cousin of Queen Elizabeth II. Sitter in 16 portraits.
- Louis Mountbatten, Earl Mountbatten of Burma (1900-1979), Admiral of the Fleet. Sitter in 70 portraits.
- Marina Victoria Alexandra Mowatt (née Ogilvy) (1966-), Wife of Paul Julian Mowatt; daughter of Princess Alexandra, Lady Ogilvy and Sir Angus Ogilvy. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Sir Angus James Bruce Ogilvy (1928-2004), Council and trustee of the Prince's Trust. Sitter in 20 portraits.
- James Robert Bruce Ogilvy (1964-), Son of Princess Alexandra, Lady Ogilvy and Sir Angus Ogilvy. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Anne Patricia Phillips (née Tiarks) (1926-1988), Wife of Peter William Garside Phillips; daughter of Gerhard Edward Tiarks; mother of Captain Mark Phillips. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Mark Anthony Peter Phillips (1948-), Equestrian; Olympian and consultant; former husband of Princess Anne. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Peter William Garside Phillips (1920-1998), Soldier; father of Captain Mark Phillips. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Sarah Anne Phillips (1951-), Daughter of Peter William Garside Phillips; sister of Captain Mark Phillips. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester (1944-), Cousin of Queen Elizabeth II. Sitter in 29 portraits, Artist associated with 2 portraits.
- George Philip Nicholas Windsor, Earl of St Andrews (1962-), Son of Duke and Duchess of Kent. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Antony Charles Robert Armstrong Jones, 1st Earl of Snowdon (1930-2017), Photographer, film-maker and designer; former husband of Princess Margaret. Sitter in 21 portraits, Artist of 284 portraits.
- Queen Sofía of Spain (1938-), Wife of King Juan Carlos I of Spain; daughter of King Paul I of Greece. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Queen Sonja of Norway (1937-), Wife of King Harald V of Norway; daughter of Karl Haraldsen. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Lady Helen Marina Lucy Taylor (née Windsor) (1964-), Daughter of Duke of Kent. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Lord Nicholas Charles Edward Jonathan Windsor (1970-), Son of Duke of Kent. Sitter in 3 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (Throne Room, Buckingham Palace, London)
Events of 1973back to top
Current affairsWith the international oil crisis, and British coal miners 'working to rule' (a form of partial strike), Prime Minister Edward Heath implements the 'three day week' for industry in order to prolong fuel stocks.
Art and sciencePink Floyd release Dark Side of the Moon. The album opens with the sound of a heartbeat and instead of a set of individual songs, each track merges into the next to create a continuous piece of music. The LP was one of the most commercially successful albums of all time.
InternationalThe Arab-Israeli conflict continues with the Yom Kippur War. Egypt and Syria invaded Israel followed shortly by Iraq, Saudi Arabia and Jordan. The conflict lasted for just 18 days before a UN ceasefire was put into place. The events led to an increase in the price of Arab oil, causing economic problems in the West.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- Everyday Icons: Collecting Popular Portraits
Until 1 March 2020
- Icons and Idols: Commissioning Contemporary Portraits
- The Face of Monarchy
- Clear Vision: Brockhurst, Frampton and Kelly
- The Queen's Golden Jubilee
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Anthony Buckley
- Yousuf Karsh
- Britain 1960-1990
- Artists and sitters
- 150 Years: The National Portrait Gallery
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Commonwealth Trail
- Goddesses and Others
- Diana, Princess of Wales
- The commissioning process
- Mario Testino: New Acquisitions
- My Favourite Portrait by Tristram Hunt
- Norman Parkinson: Portraits in Fashion
- The Beatles on the Balcony
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Photographs by Norman Parkinson – 50 Years of Portraits and Fashion
- Blow Up: Sixties Photography Exposed
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Private View
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Snowdon: Iconic Images
- My Favourite Portrait by Harriet Walter
- Surreal and Solarised Photographs
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier