14 of 16 portraits of Thomas Sutton
by William Bone Sr, after Unknown artist
pencil drawing squared in ink for transfer, July 1817
9 3/4 in. x 8 in. (247 mm x 204 mm)
acquired Sir George Scharf, 1890
Sitterback to top
- Thomas Sutton (1532-1611), Founder of the Charterhouse. Sitter associated with 16 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1817back to top
Current affairsPrincess Charlotte, only daughter of George, Prince Regent and Caroline of Brunswick, dies in childbirth, prompting widespread mourning.
Seditious Meetings Bill drives democratic societies underground.
Rising depression and discontent; Prince Regent's coach attacked at state opening of Parliament.
Art and scienceJohn Keats begins to write his epic poem Endymion on the Isle of Wight; a rite of passage as a professional poet after deserting his medical career.
John Constable exhibits Flatford Mill, one of his most famous naturalistic landscape paintings, at the Royal Academy
John Rennie's new Waterloo Bridge opens.
InternationalJournalist William Cobbett flees to America fearing prosecution. Already imprisoned for two years for seditious libel he grew more vehemently pro-reform on his release and reduced the price of his weekly periodical the Political Register to expand its circulation and influence to all classes.
James Monroe is elected President of the United States.
Do, draw and make!
Do, draw and make!
From building dens to food faces – enjoy our Playful Portraits activities and find out about some brilliant people!
Activities for children and families inspired by three healthcare heroes from our Collection.
Downloadable and web based resources to support learning at home linked to art, history, citizenship and literacy.
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints