Queen Mary I
12 of 50 portraits of Queen Mary I
Queen Mary I
after Unknown artist
woodcut, after 1558
4 7/8 in. x 3 3/4 in. (124 mm x 94 mm) paper size
Sitterback to top
- Queen Mary I (1516-1558), Reigned 1553-58; daughter of Henry VIII and Katherine of Aragon. Sitter associated with 50 portraits.
Events of 1558back to top
Current affairsDeath of Queen Mary I; she is succeeded by her Protestant half-sister Elizabeth.
Sir William Cecil is appointed Secretary of State; he will remain Queen Elizabeth I's chief minister until his death in 1598.
The French capture Calais, England's last holding in continental Europe.
Large-scale famine and an influenza epidemic spreads across England.
Art and scienceThe Scottish Protestant reformer John Knox publishes The First Blast of the Trumpet Against the Monstrous Regiment of Women, a controversial attack on female rule with the aim of inciting rebellion against Queen Mary I.
InternationalMary Queen of Scots marries the French Dauphin (later Francis II of France).
Archduke Ferdinand of Austria is formally elected Holy Roman Emperor.
Akbar, Mughal Emperor of India, conquers Gwalior, Ajmer and Jaunpur in north India.
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Tudor Miniatures
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early English kings and queens
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.