7 of 30 portraits matching these criteria:
- set matching 'Richard James Lane lithographs (vol 7)'
by Frederick Christian Lewis Sr, published by John Mitchell, and published by Paul and Dominic Colnaghi & Co, after Richard James Lane
stipple engraving, published 22 June 1837
12 1/4 in. x 10 in. (310 mm x 254 mm) plate size; 13 3/4 in. x 11 3/8 in. (348 mm x 288 mm) paper size
Given by Austin Lane Poole, 1956
Sitterback to top
- Queen Victoria (1819-1901), Reigned 1837-1901. Sitter associated with 545 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Paul and Dominic Colnaghi & Co (active 1830-1890), Printsellers and publishers. Artist associated with 91 portraits.
- Richard James Lane (1800-1872), Sculptor and lithographer. Artist associated with 1225 portraits, Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Frederick Christian Lewis Sr (1779-1856), Engraver and landscape painter. Artist associated with 192 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- John Mitchell (active 1832-died 1889), Publisher. Artist associated with 204 portraits.
Placesback to top
Events of 1837back to top
Current affairsThe controversial monarch William IV dies of pneumonia in June leaving no legitimate heirs, and is succeeded to the throne by his niece Victoria, one month after her eighteenth birthday.
The Registration Act of Births, Marriages and Deaths makes it compulsory for all births, marriages and deaths to be registered at a Registry Office.