19 of 21 portraits of John Donne
by Henry Bone, after Unknown artist
pencil drawing squared in ink for transfer, 1824
7 5/8 in. x 5 3/8 in. (193 mm x 138 mm)
acquired Sir George Scharf, 1890
Artistsback to top
Events of 1824back to top
Current affairsAnti-Trade Union Combination Acts of 1799 and 1800 are repealed after persuasive arguments from radical Francis Place that prohibition of workers' combinations only increased their appeal. The unions had been banned for fear that they were becoming involved in democratic politics.
Art and scienceNational Gallery is established when Parliament agrees to purchase a collection of thirty-eight paintings from the estate of philanthropist John Julius Angerstein. William Seguier is appointed first Keeper.
Society of British Artists holds its first exhibition, aiming to appeal to a broader art public than those who visited the Royal Academy.
InternationalLord Byron dies of a fever at Missolonghi while fighting in the Greek War of Independence.
Britain declares war on Burma after threat of Indian invasion.
Singapore is ceded to Britain.
John Constable's Haywain receives Gold Medal at the Paris Salon.
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Searching for Shakespeare
- John Donne
- Recent acquisition: John Donne
- The Conservation of the portrait of John Donne
- John Donne nearly finished...
- My Favourite Portrait by Leonie Frieda
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- John Donne
- Who do you think you were?
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints