Charles Kemble as Macduff in 'Macbeth'
18 of 30 portraits of Charles Kemble
Charles Kemble as Macduff in 'Macbeth'
by Richard James Lane, printed by Jérémie Graf, published by Colnaghi and Puckle, after Alfred Edward Chalon
lithograph, published May 1840
20 1/8 in. x 14 1/4 in. (511 mm x 363 mm) paper size
Given by Austin Lane Poole, 1956
Sitterback to top
- Charles Kemble (1775-1854), Actor, theatre manager and playwright. Sitter associated with 30 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Alfred Edward Chalon (1780-1860), Portrait and subject painter. Artist associated with 180 portraits, Sitter associated with 1 portrait.
- Colnaghi and Puckle (active 1839-1845), Printsellers and publishers. Artist associated with 56 portraits.
- Jérémie Graf (active 1837-1842), Lithographic printer. Artist associated with 113 portraits.
- Richard James Lane (1800-1872), Sculptor and lithographer. Artist associated with 1225 portraits, Sitter in 6 portraits.
Related worksback to top
- NPG D22322: Title page (Charles Kemble) (from same series as)
- NPG D22324: Charles Kemble as Hamlet (from same series as)
- NPG D22325: Charles Kemble as Falstaff in 'Henry IV' (from same series as)
- NPG D22326: Charles Kemble (from same series as)
- NPG D22327: Charles Kemble as Shylock in 'Merchant of Venice' (from same series as)
- NPG D22328: Charles Kemble as Mark Anthony in 'Julius Caesar' (from same series as)
- NPG D22329: Charles Kemble as Mercutio in 'Romeo and Juliet' (from same series as)
- NPG D22331: Charles Kemble as Macbeth (from same series as)
- NPG D22332: Charles Kemble as Othello (from same series as)
- NPG D22333: Charles Kemble as Cassio in 'Othello' (from same series as)
- NPG D22334: Charles Kemble as Iago in 'Othello' (from same series as)
- NPG D22338: Charles Kemble as Don Felix in 'The Wonder' (from same series as)
- NPG D22339: Subscription page (from same series as)
- NPG D22323: Charles Kemble as Faulconbridge in 'King John' (from same series as)
- NPG D22335: Charles Kemble as The Stranger (from same series as)
- NPG D22336: Charles Kemble as Leon in 'Rule a Wife, and have a Wife' (from same series as)
- NPG D22337: Charles Kemble (from same series as)
Events of 1840back to top
Current affairsVictoria marries her cousin, Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha; he is given the title of Prince Consort.
The Penny Black stamp is introduced by Rowland Hill; the first pre-paid, self-adhesive stamp, it marks the start of the modern postal system.
The start of the Irish potato famine, which by the time of its peak in 1851, had caused the deaths of one million, and contributed to the sharp rise of emigration from Ireland to England and America.
Art and scienceBeau Brummel, the fashion leader responsible for sparking the culture of 'Dandyism', dies of syphilis.
The first stone is laid on the new Houses of Parliament, based on the gothic designs by the architects Charles Barry and Augustus Pugin. The old buildings had burned down in 1834, following a blaze caused by burning wooden tallies used by the Exchequer to calculate tax.
InternationalThe Afghans surrender to Britain during the Afghan-British war (1839-42). The war was sparked by British fear over Russian influence in Afghanistan, with the British East India Company resolving to depose the Afghan leader, Dost Muhammad, who was insistent on Afghan independence, and restore the former leader Shoja Shah.
The Maoris yield sovereignty of New Zealand under the Treaty of Waitangi.
Visit From Your Armchair
Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize
An online exhibition celebrating the very best in contemporary portrait photography.
Explore our community photography project, which presents a personal record of the UK during lockdown.
Sculptures in 360°
See sculptures and fascinating objects from our Collection from all angles.
David Hockney: Drawing from Life
Watch highlights from our special exhibition, which had to close early in March 2020 due to lockdown.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.