King Henry IV
King Henry IV
by Henry Bone, after Unknown artist
pencil drawing squared in ink for transfer, March 1814
8 1/8 in. x 5 3/4 in. (205 mm x 147 mm)
acquired Sir George Scharf, 1890
Artistsback to top
Events of 1814back to top
Current affairsPrincess Caroline leaves England for a lengthy series of travels in Europe and the Middle East. Scandalous gossip promptly surrounds her relationship with her Italian valet, Count Bartholomew Bergami.
George, Prince Regent, hosts a visit of the victorious allies to England with spectacular celebrations and fireworks at Carlton House.
Art and scienceJohn Soane completes the construction of Dulwich Picture Gallery.
First steam printing machine in the world is used to publish The Times.
New Royal Mint opens at Tower Hill with improved precision machinery.
Grand Western Canal completed from Loudwell to Tiverton.
InternationalParis falls under allied attack; Napoleon sent into exile on Elba.
Force of British veterans lands at Chesapeake Bay, defeats Americans at Bladensburg and burns parts of Washington DC.
Peace treaty signed with Americans in Ghent. General Pakenham is killed leading attack on New Orleans before news of the peace reaches America.
Become a Member
Enjoy access to special events, discounts on the Gallery online shop, supporters’ updates and much more
Bringing people together by sharing the portraits and stories of the men and women who have shaped our nation.
Sign up to receive information on exhibitions, collections and activities of the National Portrait Gallery, including special offers, shop products, and exclusive competitions.
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early English kings and queens
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.