King James II
115 of 134 portraits of King James II
King James II
by Henry Bone, after Sir Peter Lely
pencil drawing squared in ink for transfer, April 1831
8 3/8 in. x 5 3/4 in. (213 mm x 147 mm)
acquired Sir George Scharf, 1890
Artistsback to top
Events of 1831back to top
Current affairsParliamentary Reform Bill is rejected by the House of Lords prompting riots in Nottingham, Derby and Bristol.
Art and scienceMichael Faraday demonstrates electromagnetic induction.
Death of Lady Sarah Ponsonby, last of the famous Ladies of Llangollen who attracted many of the leading names in art and literature to visit them at their home in Plas Newydd, Wales.
Opening of New London Bridge, designed by John Rennie.
InternationalViolinist Niccolo Paganini arrives in England from Italy and embarks on a six month tour of the country after astonishing London audiences with his virtuoso performances.
Revolutionary outbreaks in Modena, Parma and the Papal States influenced by the July Revolution in France the previous year.
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Alexander Browne and Richard Tompson
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Painted Ladies: Women at the Court of Charles II
- Duchess of Cleveland Appeal
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- Barbara Villiers
- Catherine Sedley
- 2018 Anniversaries
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints