18 of 84 portraits matching these criteria:
- set matching 'Richard James Lane lithographs (vol 10)'
by Richard James Lane, printed by Charles Joseph Hullmandel, published by Joseph Dickinson, after John Callcott Horsley
lithograph, published January 1832
21 1/4 in. x 14 1/2 in. (540 mm x 368 mm) paper size
Given by Austin Lane Poole, 1956
Sitterback to top
- William Horsley (1774-1858), Composer, organist and founder of the Philharmonic Society. Sitter in 4 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Joseph Dickinson (1780-1849), Stationer and lithographic publisher. Artist associated with 83 portraits.
- John Callcott Horsley (1817-1903), Painter and Royal Academician. Artist associated with 10 portraits, Sitter in 11 portraits.
- Charles Joseph Hullmandel (1789-1850), Lithographic draughtsman and printer. Artist associated with 106 portraits.
- Richard James Lane (1800-1872), Sculptor and lithographer. Artist associated with 1225 portraits, Sitter in 6 portraits.
Events of 1832back to top
Current affairsWilliam IV agrees to the creation of new peers in order to obtain the passage of the Reform Act, although this proved unnecessary when the Tories withdrew opposition. Male franchise is extended by fifty percent; fifty-six 'rotten boroughs' lose representation and forty-one new constituencies are created. Irish and Scottish Reform Acts are also passed.
Art and scienceMathematician Charles Babbage publishes his best selling Economy of Machinery and Manufactures. In response to recent outbreaks of machine-breaking and riots, he aimed to reveal the sources of Britain's industrial strength to the urban elite and promote institutional change.
Parliament votes funds for National Gallery buildings in Trafalgar Square.
InternationalFree land grants end for English settlers in Australia on recommendation of the leading colonisation theorist Edward Wakefield in his Letter from Sydney.
Greek independence recognised by the Treaty of London.
Listen to a series of podcasts exploring the lives of pioneering women, past and present.
William Eggleston was closely associated with the alternative music scene in Memphis. Revisit our 2016 exhibition and listen to a special playlist.
Links to audio and transcripts of interviews with artists, sitters and historic recordings.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.